Vellum optimization

tabu

For one of my projects, I am using Vellum hair to simulate my tree branches, but simming gets really slow. To make my curves stiff enough I need to bump substeps to more than 3 and also constraint iterations to more than 50k and obviously, simming gets really slow. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong that I need to bump numbers so high or this is normal to wait so long for vellum simulations? Main settings I am changing are stretch and bend. Before - I made my tree real life scale, but even now, when I scaled it a bit down, I still need to bump my constraint iterations to more than 50K.

P.S I have 64GB Ram and Ryzen 3900x, so I am not sure if my hardware is not good enough to sim it.

From what I understand, you are trying to sim the whole geometry of the branches/tree though the solver. Try to run only the curves though the solver (quite low res without any polys) then res up your curves and generate final geometry after solve.

I am just catching you post on the fly as it sounds familiar with a similar issue I had solved here:

Edited by Vinz
  • Like 1

Oh no no, I am not simming whole geometry, I have curves and I have even separated them into a different hierarchy. But even siming my first level(in the photo)l, which is 57 primitives, I need to use 3 substeps and 30k constraint iteration (and still I am not getting required quality)

image.png.08d7e056e828f8e954cf702dd459e9ea.png

30k constrain iterations ?!?!?!?!?!?! surely there has to be a point where you say enough is enough ?

that's a yeah naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah for me.

https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/vellum-constraint-features-john-lynch-h18-masterclass/

Go and study the tree_density file from John Lynch

(the gif you see here is 1 substep, 100 const iterations, sims in real time)

tree.gif

Edited by Noobini
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/12/2020 at 10:14 PM, Noobini said:

30k constrain iterations ?!?!?!?!?!?! surely there has to be a point where you say enough is enough ?

that's a yeah naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah for me.

https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/vellum-constraint-features-john-lynch-h18-masterclass/

Go and study the tree_density file from John Lynch

(the gif you see here is 1 substep, 100 const iterations, sims in real time)

tree.gif

Thank you very much for this! Actually, I have no idea how I skipped that part at the beginning which was so vital. Now everything works fine with no more than 1k iterations. Thank you very much!