animate scattering

AmyEden

Hey,

So i'm looking for a way to animate and freeze at some frame the global seed of the scattering node.

I'm trying to replicate the polyjuice effect in Harry potter 2 and i'm having a bit of struggle with the scattering. The effect is some sort of bubbles that grow and reduce on a morphing head into an other. I managed the bubbles effect and the morphing just fine but the bubbles are always on the same place.

They are controled by a scattering and color and i would like to animate it in that way :

- when the color is black there are no bubbles and when it's white they grow. I would like the global seed of the scattering to change when it's black and freeze and take the last value when it's white.

for exemple at from frame 0 to 10 it's white with the scattering seed set a 1, then from frame 11 to 15 it's back and the scattering seed changes to 2 then from frame 16 to 26 it's white again with the scattering froze to 2 and on and on in that way.

Does anybody has a way to make that happen ? I joint the file with the pig head so that anyone can open it without any additionnal file. Thank you so much for your help

PS: i'm very new to houdini.

head_bubbles_ocforum.hipnc

You can brute force this by using code to drive the scatter seed.

It's crude, but it works.

if(@Frame>=1 && @Frame<48){ f@seed = 0.1;}
if(@Frame>=48 && @Frame<96){ f@seed = 0.2;}
if(@Frame>=96 && @Frame<144){ f@seed = 0.3;}
if(@Frame>=144 && @Frame<192){ f@seed = 0.4;}
if(@Frame>=192 && @Frame<240){ f@seed = 0.5;}

So every 48 frames a new seed is generated as a Detail attribute.

Drive the global seed of the scatter by fetching the value using the hScript detail function.

Untitled-1.jpg

Thank you so so much it works perfectly however I can't make the detail fonction work.

I read the houdini documentation and they say that the first parameter is the geo path but that doesn't seem to work. And neither does 0 like you showed on your screen caption.

Could you explain what I need to do ?

Thank you so much

image.png.7a82c02999ed8f62183c54754ba08ce4.pngimage.thumb.png.f6e09b7a604fd921e9a9908d504489fb.png

On 5/11/2021 at 9:44 PM, AmyEden said:

Hey,

So i'm looking for a way to animate and freeze at some frame the global seed of the scattering node.

I'm trying to replicate the polyjuice effect in Harry potter 2 and i'm having a bit of struggle with the scattering. The effect is some sort of bubbles that grow and reduce on a morphing head into an other. I managed the bubbles effect and the morphing just fine but the bubbles are always on the same place.

They are controled by a scattering and color and i would like to animate it in that way :

- when the color is black there are no bubbles and when it's white they grow. I would like the global seed of the scattering to change when it's black and freeze and take the last value when it's white.

for exemple at from frame 0 to 10 it's white with the scattering seed set a 1, then from frame 11 to 15 it's back and the scattering seed changes to 2 then from frame 16 to 26 it's white again with the scattering froze to 2 and on and on in that way.

Does anybody has a way to make that happen ? I joint the file with the pig head so that anyone can open it without any additionnal file. Thank you so much for your help

PS: i'm very new to houdini.

head_bubbles_ocforum.hipnc

round($F/10)

// what about this one in the Seed? 

Zero does work as you can see no error in my screenshot. Make sure your attribute wrangle is running in detail mode.

@UltramanThat's a much simpler solution, but what if I want to change every 48 frames? The round will produce a change at frame 24 as well.

10 minutes ago, Atom said:

Zero does work as you can see no error in my screenshot. Make sure your attribute wrangle is running in detail mode.

@UltramanThat's a much simpler solution, but what if I want to change every 48 frames? The round will produce a change at frame 24 as well.

@Atom // Right is simple and doesn't have any range like if statement // but for fixing issue ceil function can be work but in overall ur word is true ..

This version references a CHOP wave in sample/hold mode. The scatter fetches this chopnet value for the seed.

Here's a quick attempt at synchronizing the scatter change with the color fade. A lag channel is added to the CHOP network to generate a source supplied to the color node.

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.63581301b0b47a6863c0cddb0a1da610.jpg

You can adjust the period of the wave1 node to change the speed for both outputs. Use the phase to align the red waveform with the purple.

scatter_pulse_pig.gif.edf74fbaccc7bb6c7f3e917b86f480a8.gif

ap_head_bubbles_odforum.hipnc

Edited by Atom
  • Like 2

Thank you so much for you both !

I tried with the function round but I can't really synchronized it with the sin. 

Changing to detail in the wranggle worked ! And i'm really happy with the results so I think I will go with that

I will look at the chop version tomorrow although it seems a bit more complicated than the wranggle. I'll be sure to give it a go though and I will keep you updated !

Thank you so much anyway !