Hi, I can't find a way to get what I can get with a colored specular map in Substance Designer. I'm basically trying to get a fake iridescent effect by coloring my specular map, but in the principled shader, the specular is a float type, so no way to put some colors in there..
In the past I was on Maya with Renderman and there was a specular and an edge color parameter, in wich I was able to put some color, but no parameter is a color in the principled color.

I'll put some screenshot of the desired look I want. It's done in Substance designer, with a black diffuse, a normal, a white specular and the colored map in the specular edge color.

It'll be used in a movie project for my school so I really hope to get some help , please help !

image_2021-11-23_162922.thumb.png.1060739ad33e3db920852b6e8dbe9d26.png

Edited by Elistan

1 hour ago, Librarian said:

maybe it Helps @Elistan

gdgss.jpg

Well not that much, I mean missed to say that I've only used the principled shader so far, so this is kind of confusing, but I'll dig into it.
Can you explain me more about what is going on and what is used for the edge color ? I'm seeing a lot of math, some noises etc... what is the essence of the specular in this ?

14 hours ago, Librarian said:

procedural wood shader  with full control for specular edge (color, intensity)  based on disp Norm and more  ...Play a little bit with settings if you have Time

I've seen that it's wood, but as I said I can't understand what's going on, as you didn't explain anything about the math and how your nodes are set. In addition I've never worked with SHOP, so I would love some more details, or maybe a file with this setup, so I can try to understand how you've set it.

I'm just searching for a way to use my map as a specular edge, as the classic shader do in the STAGE, but, if possible, with the principled shader in MAT.

7 hours ago, Elistan said:

I've seen that it's wood, but as I said I can't understand what's going on, as you didn't explain anything about the math and how your nodes are set. In addition I've never worked with SHOP, so I would love some more details, or maybe a file with this setup, so I can try to understand how you've set it.

I'm just searching for a way to use my map as a specular edge, as the classic shader do in the STAGE, but, if possible, with the principled shader in MAT.

You have two ways of achieving that.

1. You can either plug in your texture into the 'basecolor' slot, make the Albedo Multiplier 0 and the Reflect Tint 1.

2. Or you'd need to modify the Principled Shader by adding the necessary Parameter VOP inside of the Principled Shader Core inside the Principled Shader, because the node which handles reflections has a color input, it's just not exposed to the top level and doesn't have texture slots setup.