Creating Jellyfish Arms

Joon Ref

Hi guys,

I was wondering if someone here knows how to model these jellyfish arms for a project I am currently working on. 

2094.jpg

Looking for help on just the big main arms in the middle, keeping in mind that the scale of the arms need to decrease as it gets closer to the bottom. I was using a differential growth solver on a plane, but it just wasn't cutting it in terms of realism. I was also thinking about driving these simulated arms with a Vellum solver, using the central stem of the arm as a pin constraint, but not sure if thats the best way to go about it.

Any advice/help would be appreciated, I am still pretty new to Houdini, but I understand the basic concepts. Thank you!

Not perfect, but might give you ideas. I remember seeing a ted talk about riemann surfaces, someone worked out if you knitted a scarf and kept adding an extra stitch in each row, it naturally forms those sort of kale leaf/sea cucumber/jellyfish tendrils.

Here I setup a remesh node to do small triangles on one side of a grid, bigger on the other, then when converting to vellum I tell it to try and make all the edges have the same rest length. It naturally gets those kale style shapes.

Had a bit of a play with using a vellum drape to quickly get the base shape, then a second set of constraints and stuff so its ready for a animated sim.

tendrils.gif.0d87fb0abfadf71388cede084a9e8d7e.gif

jellyfish_tendril.hip

• Like 2

Sweet way Matt! Differential mesh grow with relax and pscale attribute could also give you something in this idea. Value are quite sensitive.

Vincent

--------------------------------------

Senior Creative Houdini Artist / Senior Env artist & Lighting (VFX since 1998)

http://fr.linkedin.com/in/vincentthomas

Wip_Lucida_Rnd.PNG.6a2bd16ed0dbc86e0bb4f6726daf52fe.PNG

plant_5_reference.png

Edited by vinyvince

Hello, 

i just did start the sape topic today, and didn't see this one, i will merge my post:-)

I am searching some procedural way to acheive some details for the tail of a jellyfish like those in the attached image. With noises i get an effect wich is not exactly matching the reference. 

I would like to have a more natural look in the small wrinkles, in the reference wrinkle is thinner while going to the center of the tail.

I did also tested some "reaction diffusion technique" but the result is not similar to this species of jellyfish,even if is not bad in not ok, maybe there is some reaction diffusion setup wich result in a shape more similar to wrinkles and less "spongy"?:-)

tail_details.JPG

tail_noise.JPG

tail_reaction.JPG

Make some adjustments with reaction fusion only on side parts of model and use chops with rest to make some more natural movement ..
You have more control and speed I think...than you can model with extracted curves direct on model ..you can use partial modeling no need to have all segment's .I think
here its simply ex on that Topic.. Oral arms behave differently in water than regular tentacles. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuG2o79Hm-O/?utm_medium=copy_link

wogle.hiplc

I had good results in a mix of noise and vellum drape.But i get some pinned points here and there even if there is no point pinned in the configure cloth.Any idea?

Could be nice to add even more fine wavy details but i should use a low res geo to sim and than switch to hi res.

tentacolo_model_1.JPG

tentacolo_model_2.JPG

tentacolo_model_3.JPG