Use of music in challenge

kmanstudios

Hi Eric

I moved this because the apprentice forum is for entry WIPS only. Discussion of them would fall here.

As for your question, I can only suggest that you wait for the rules. I'll inquire today as to when we can expect them (I think theres a lot of people waiting for them)

Cheers

Marc

Thanks for the move :) I'm now also curious about what constitutes eligability in the challenge. I don't know of a single Houdini houose here in NYC let alone Houdini users. I guess I'm getting at this: The folks who have access to or work in a Houdini environment would have a great advantage over those who live in a Houdini wasteland. I hope the rules get to this issue and clarify this. In the meantime, I'm completely grateful to SideFX in making this such an opportunity and for developing this non-commercial design. All watermarks are tasteful and non-obtrusive and working with 3DBuzz on the online course is an unparrelled opportunity in itself.

Yep, there's the web. But it doesn't replace working in the environment or working side by side with someone who really knows what they are doing. Take this for what it's meant as. I am not complaining about the opportunity. I'm just curious about what the rules will be and how they will be implemented. It by no way means that I'll stop or not compete. There's never been an opportunity like this to learn this level of program. I didn't find out about all of this till three weeks ago. I'm at the level of creating more questions than solving problems. I can keyframe what I would normally do, but that doesn't take advantage of Houdini's capabilities. I don't want to use Houdini as a glorified MAX or MAYA.

Hi Eric

Well, I'll agree that people who have used it for a while have a slight advantage. But look at Mcronin.. he hasn't been using houdini for that long (how long has it been Mcronin?), and I'm fairly certain he's gonna kick my ass in the modeling section of the contest :). So talent is definitely the major player here...

Also, thats exactly why we have the challenge forum open. There's all sorts of proffesionals here on hand to help out. And we're more than willing to tell you the best way to achieve something. So feel free to post your questions and we'll do our best to clear things up.

Cheers

Marc

"what is the P, T, S, and so on mean in the shader options in VOPS?" ~ kmanstudios

GREEEETS!

refer to $HFS/houdini/vex/html or $HFS/houdini/vop/html for information on what S, T, P, N, nML, etc etc... remember VOPS is the same as VEX, but in a visual representation.

better yet, check out the tutorials section...you will find tutorials on shaders with VEX, you can apply the workflow to VOPs.