Houdini Learning

marquee

Hello everyone!

As you can make out I'm very new to the forums here. I've been trying out houdini for sometime now and have most of the course dvds with me but I find it hard trying to be at it every evening. So I thought if I plunge into learning it at some university. Would be faster but expensive as well.

I've tried all options in australia.

None of them have anything to do with houdini here.

So I was thinging vancouver or bournemouth.

What do you guys think, anyone been on that route at all or am I looking at people who are self taught.

What do you guys think about the course at vancouver?

its 4months and weighs more than a year at Bournemouth in pounds.

Any info would be appreciated.

cheers

I was taught the first 5% of Houdini I know from the Savannah College of Art and Design - and the remaining 95% is mixed from self-taught, old video tutorials, and tips-and-tricks from friends. And I kind of get that feeling that only '5%' is all anyone can really 'teach' of Houdini. It's really a question of wrapping your mind around a procedural workflow.

So depending on how much Houdini you know already depends on whether or not I'd recommend taking a formal class in Houdini.

I don't know how the courses for Houdini in Vancouver or Bournemouth are. But if you're fairly new to Houdini - and you you have a decent level of experience with other 3d apps - I might recommend checking out Side Effects Software's Bootcamp.

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com...&Itemid=215

From their page:

The Houdini Boot Camp is a comprehensive introduction to Houdini software. This intensive hands-on course provides a working knowledge of Houdini for production with 24 hours of instruction over 4 days. Learn the Houdini workflow and see how your skill-set and demand in the CG marketplace continue to grow!

I had the privilege to be a T.A. for one of those classes back when I was an intern at Side Effects. And I can say Dave Robert, the instructor, will get you through the basics and answer any questions you may have.

heck!

I've always known that you can pick up more than what any school can offer all by yourself. Unfortunately here in the sourthern hemisphere there is no one I know who into houdini. So leave alone asking a question. I wish side effects would have more of those bootcamps across the world and not just localized to one continent. Granted Australia is far away but not that far today than it was yesterday.

I have general idea about the program but there is no where to go with just than a self pursued dream.

How does one move around the industry knowing a bit of houdini? especially if one is lets say a little familiar with houdini.

your thoughts?

Edited by marquee

In answer to your original question ;)... I think that you can't go far wrong with either the Vancouver or the Bournemouth courses. I haven't had any experience with either of these, but I've seen some of the work that the students produce and the work is pretty high quality.

Personally I'm self taught, but I was lucky enough to get a job at a company that allowed me to learn while I worked for them. Nothing like being handed a commercial job an and copy of houdini 1.1 to make you figure things out quickly :).

Cheers

Marc

i would also keep an eye on 3dbuzz.

Right now they will broadcasting a show and it will have information on Houdini 9, they held off doing a DVD because they new 9 was coming out. Oh and anyone looking to create a crowd system they will share some info on "agents".

Open VideoLan and File > Network Stream > mms://67.15.4.11/BuzzTV

enjoy, if you cant watch now, the show will be up for download later today or tommorrow.

.... they just started.

-andy

3dbuzz is now sponsored by SESI.

They will be doing free tutorials for houdini 9 (basic content), then a DVD covering advanced stuff.

Great! The long postponed marriage is happening at last.

Maybe they'll even manage to finish the tornado VTM =)

Great! The long postponed marriage is happening at last.

Maybe they'll even manage to finish the tornado VTM =)

hehe, i doubt if they will continue with that tutorial, knowing them they would re-record the whole thing in houdini 9 to make it easy to understand :P.

but also, when the Houdini Online Class used to be available to everyone, when people completed the assignments the networks they used to get were really advanced, so when they do a class of some sort, if they get a file that is awesome what they will do is make a free tutorial on how they made it etc.

Good times coming soon :).

3dbuzz is now sponsored by SESI.

They will be doing free tutorials for houdini 9 (basic content), then a DVD covering advanced stuff.

You know it for sure?

I would be great news!

cheer,

sy.

it was announced on Tuesday

Robert Magee had this to say:

We have sponsored 3D Buzz because of the great contribution they are making to the CG community and to help them promote their new Houdini fundamentals course. We would never ask them as part of this kind of sponsorship to abandon their support of other products and it would take nothing short of a corporate takedown to sway them from their higher purpose anyway.

This community is one of those hubs in the 3D community that is a fun place to be while at the same time great knowledge is imparted daily. As Houdini becomes more accessible to a wider range of users working with this community is an important step.

Once we get rolling with learning materials over the next few weeks in Beta then hopefully many of you will begin to see how Houdini supports the creative process and gives you access to the guts of CG using a simple node-based workflow with nice new interactive viewport tools in H9

----

good times ahead.

The Vancouver course is very good, I have not taken the course but I have met quite few of the students and both of the teachers. It really is quite expensive though. VizzyAcky is good and quite reasonable cost wise as well as Garman has good connections in the industry. 3DBuzz will be the best bang for the buck though if you can wait it out a bit. They have acually cut the price now because of the sponsorship with SESI and knowing them it will be VERY long and VERY indepth. Everything they produce is worth it's weight in gold!

3d buzz is def the way to go and ....... with a little bit of help from my friends.

Education is getting ridiculously expensive especially when it comes to software trainning and helping put a demo.

A new order of like minds is required.

I'm sure it is justified for the courses offered, good teachers et all. But within reason I'd say.

It is true that a private educational institutions are generally are far more expensive these days, but sometimes, you also have to look at the instructors themselves -- because that's often where you'll get the most from. As for VizyAcky, I don't know how Garman structure his pricing, but I know Garman personally and had been instructed by him years ago. I personally would take him any time over most of the instructors elsewhere simply because Garman has the decades of field experience in 3D and is a 3D artist, and to top it off, has a passion for teaching and making sure that his students do well (those who genuinely want to learn, that is).