Fx Wip: Building Explosion/fire

photex

A bit misleading as I haven't worked on the fire yet. But as I work on a couple of things at once I have been spending a lot of time on this project and wanted to get some feedback.

Current things on the todo list:

-Camera move

-fire, and lighting from fire

-a bit more smoke

-brick shader that will be charred in certain areas as a result of smoke/flame

- glass shattering is already done, just not in this render.

-curtains: have tried using the spring sop but they seem to stretch waaay to much and I'm unsure how to get a handle on this.

The current comp is lame at the moment because I didn't want to rerender my building yet (Volume renders take a really long time it seems) so they are slightly out of whack.

building-02

I have some basic shading right now. Here is a test of that train of thought.

_chip

-------------------------------

100th post! woo-hoo :D

--------------------------------

Edited by photex

I think that all pieces of your building jump too much, they look like they were made of silicon...

More little pieces of bricks, as Miguel suggested, is needed for sure.

good luck!,

sy.

PS I would also split a scene into parts and work separetly. RBD sim is not finised yet so leave partices for later ;)

Definetly you have to decrease the bouncing. And I think with many debris and more dust it will look much better.

You should also, with the impact data to get the impulse and a cookie sop in crease mode, make an area to emmit dust and debris when the chunks hit the ground.

By the way, check this, is very inspiring: http://www.blastcode.com/gallery/sample.php?pid=105

Edited by MIguel P

Thanks guys.

Blastcode is cool!

Switching between parts of the project is just a habit developed when I was an art student and was always taught to work on the entire picture. I guess part of that is so I can feel like I'm accomplishing *something* when RBD takes a long time to work through and I'm kinda groping in the dark to find the right combination of densities and mass to make things look "neat". :)

However, I did just find this list: http://www.simetric.co.uk/si_materials.htm which I'm hoping will help round out this aspect of my sim.

I've re-run the sim a couple of times today and I'll put up some results when they take shape.

For some extra secondary debris, would it be wise to have that added to my current sim, or run a different sim for the smaller stuff. Maybe I could get away with using particles for that too?

So far, I've been saving the sim as a sequence of bgeo files that I'm reading into my other setups (for particles, render mattes, so on), and I don't suppose this is a good way to get impact data into other scenes. Should I be using a file dop for this, writing out the simulation?

Another question concerning the density of things: I have some glue objects (as groups of individual bricks), and then some big chunks. When specifying the denisity of the glue object to I place the density of an individual brick or the sum of all bricks? Obviously I'm doing a lot of guessing concerning the mass and density of objects but I'm trying to zero it in.

Thanks again! :)

Bless youtube! I must be crazy not looking there for more reference. You barely see any flames, just tons and tons of smoke and dust after that first blast.

Thanks!

Don't mistake real for hollyreal:)

EXT: HOUSE, GOLDEN HOUR

HUGE VIOLENT FLAMES BURST FROM WINDOWS AND THE HOUSE WALLS EXPLODE. FOR A SECOND YOU CAN ALMOST SEE THE GRINNING FACE OF SATAN IN THE SMOKE. AFTER THE EXPLOSION, THE DOG MIRACULOUSLY ESCAPES COMPLETELY UNHARMED. SOMEWHERE IN THE BACKGROUND, AN ELECTRIC GUITAR IS WAILING OUT A ROCK SOLO. EVERYONE HAS DRAMATIC BUT RAUNCHY SEX.

FADE TO BLACK.

I didn't change anything with the smoke or add anything yet. But I've been working with the bricks.

I've redone all of the larger chunks as individual bricks now as well.

They bounce a lot less now, but still there are some that bounce rather a lot. I have friction waaay up and bounce waaay down (like 0.01 or 0) too. I think I'm misunderstanding it's use or effect. I think it's looking better at least. :ph34r:

building_03.mov

They bounce a lot less now, but still there are some that bounce rather a lot. I have friction waaay up and bounce waaay down (like 0.01 or 0) too. I think I'm misunderstanding it's use or effect.

Maybe, you need heavier bricks? Also double-check your units.