Fur-tool

Rudra

Hi guys! I'm starting fur-tool creation for the show. Can anyone advise theory, math models, or just good advices about fur-tools. I think that houdini fur is a good base for such task :lol::rolleyes:

Edited by Rudra

Hi guys! I'm starting fur-tool creation for the show. Can anyone advise theory, math models, or just good advices about fur-tools. I think that houdini fur is a good base for such task :lol::rolleyes:

that's a good news!

We've got a lot of documentation related to fur, hair. Give me a e_mail and i send you all this stuff.

Hey, Jason! May be you can add some cool information?

I'm not terribly experienced with the fur tools - I only know the theory from tinkering with it. I'll try to get a friend of mine (Andy Boyd from Method Studios) to write some tips sometime. :ph34r:

Andy Boyd now works ar Method? Didnt know he moved from Framestore.

Love to get some info on the Fur stuff. Yoann! if you could PM me with the docs it would be so helpful (even though it you will be uploading to the Wiki, i prefer having the docs on file, just pm when you get the chance)

I still have trouble understanding the use of the Fur Sop instead of the Procedural. Are they meant to be used together or just one over the other etc.

thanks

-andy

I still have trouble understanding the use of the Fur Sop instead of the Procedural. Are they meant to be used together or just one over the other etc.

thanks

-andy

Usually Fur SOP should be used in conjunction with Mantra fur procedural. Fur SOP generates guide curves using CVEX as modifier of shape and attributes. Mantra fur procedural generates additional curves at render time using those guide curves. So you can use Fur SOP as is if you want. But in general it is a bad idea because your scene can be too heavy.

Usually Fur SOP should be used in conjunction with Mantra fur procedural. Fur SOP generates guide curves using CVEX as modifier of shape and attributes. Mantra fur procedural generates additional curves at render time using those guide curves. So you can use Fur SOP as is if you want. But in general it is a bad idea because your scene can be too heavy.

yeah thats what i thought. Just didnt know. Just dont know how to do it :).

Yoann thanks, trying to download now, temporarily unavailable. Guess i will have to wait...

edit:// waiting over, downloading now.

Edited by phrenzy84

Hi yoann,

Could you please share some of the Fur files you have mentioned before with us... here on this post...

It would a very valuable resource. Thanks.

i don't know if we can put this stuff (siggraph paper) on the wiki, i ask to jason and i'm wait for a answer.

Hi!

I was wondering, since Houdini does not have decent fur comb tools, at least not for the mortals, in maya shave & haircut guides can be converted to nurbs curve, so they can be exported in iges format to Houdini, this way one can style the fur in maya and render in houdini, i just did not found any solution to stick these curves to the base skin geometry.

Tried the lattice sop in points mode but gives a very heavy computational time (my model had 18K guide curves), also skin geo normals are needed for guides when the surface is deforming.

Is this a wrong thinkink? can it be done this way?

Actually i'm using mental ray for fur render with hair primitives, it's faster than shave's buffer renderer, for some reason.

The only pain in maya is the export time, i have a character where the mi export is 5 minutes and the render is 1 minute.

But mantra exports/renders fur much much faster, so thats why i was thinkink transfering shave guide curves to houdini.

Unfortunately yes, it's very heavy.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I got troubles with fur. There are a lot of guides on my geometry. I want to reduce the quantity of them. But the fur sop tells me "geometry unmatch". I can't find the decision how to reduce guides. I can increase tem by increasing of area attribute value, but I can't find the decision how to reduce quantity of guides

Thanks

Edited by Rudra