motion capture workflow

Greg

I'm trying to determine the most efficient method of working with character motion capture data in Houdini.

We use Motion Builder for our all of our motion capture, retargeting and cleaning. Then we export FBX and bring an animated skeleton into Houdini.

Now I need to make the Motion builder rig drive a character mesh in Houdini.

It seems like I should explore the following possible paths:

Using the Houdini Auto Rig, create a bound rig. Then export houdini's skeleton rig to motion builder, retarget the motion and bring the rig back to Houdini. However, it doesn't seem like there's a straight forward way to export a rig.

Maybe I should not use auto rig? but should use the motion builder rig and map skin weights in houdini?

I can also use another program (maya or poser) to skin the rig and then bring it to Houdini?

Any suggestions and comments are appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

Edited by Greg

this is something that I have been interested in trying for some time...

I'd say DO NOT use the SESI autoRig...(with all due respect to SESI - it's not a production rig)

the simplest starting point would be to use the motionbuilder rig and do the capture/weights in Houdini...

please keep us up to date with your efforts :)

I'd say DO NOT use the SESI autoRig...(with all due respect to SESI - it's not a production rig)

the simplest starting point would be to use the motionbuilder rig and do the capture/weights in Houdini...

Interesting comment. why do you say its not a production rig? Can you expand a little....

Interesting comment. why do you say its not a production rig? Can you expand a little....

Im also interested to know why is not a production rig ?

I was using the auto rig and I like it a lot. There is the capture skeleton that is very simple to recreate in Motionbuilder, then bring the animation back into houdini.

I should have been more precise...

after evaluating the SESI autoRig we came to the conclusion that it wasn't sufficient for /our/ production needs...and there are some rather large issues that need to be resolved, again, in our opinion....

among the most important are:

nested HDAs - much slower than a flat network

muscles are very difficult to use - the autoRig now also uses bones so this isn't as big a problem, but of course you don't get muscles...

the time/effort it would take to fully understand the details of the rig's construction was better spent building an auto rig that met with our standards...that some have used it in production is great, but it's a black box - unless you really dig down into it making any changes and troubleshooting any problems is difficult and time consuming...

personally I don't like the separation of the rigs...

I should have been more precise...

after evaluating the SESI autoRig we came to the conclusion that it wasn't sufficient for /our/ production needs...and there are some rather large issues that need to be resolved, again, in our opinion....

among the most important are:

nested HDAs - much slower than a flat network

muscles are very difficult to use - the autoRig now also uses bones so this isn't as big a problem, but of course you don't get muscles...

the time/effort it would take to fully understand the details of the rig's construction was better spent building an auto rig that met with our standards...that some have used it in production is great, but it's a black box - unless you really dig down into it making any changes and troubleshooting any problems is difficult and time consuming...

personally I don't like the separation of the rigs...

Can I join the discussion with question what is current condition of Houdini's muscle system compared with Maya Muscles (former cMuscles) for example?

Don't know too much about animation itself, but assuming I would have to make some decisions based on it, should I trust in Houdini's muscles?