Houdini 6 beta ready for download!

modeler

it's very nice...

that's something I didn't much like about Houdini when I first started working in it....the Network View is sort of like Maya's Hypergraph (showing up and down stream connections all the time :o ) which is fine for most things but can get pretty huge and confusing when you have lots of stuff going on...

Hmm.... Actually, I love the Network View. :) I guess that's speaking from a person who has been using Houdini since 3.1 days. :) And again, that's speaking from technical/fx standpoint, I'd say. But when it comes to poly modeling, I'd do it in viewport, of course. NURBS wise I am still doing it in Network editor. :)

But with the new paradigm of having network inside a network, I am not sure how things will get organized.... In fact, I still can't think of the purpose of that for now.... ANyonw care to enlighten me about the advantage of it?

Cheers.

Alex

Somehow I have my doubts. Usually the only thing standing between a working houdini and a new graphics card is the drivers from the manufacturer.

Its kinda taken for granted that the newest drivers released by a manufacturer suck ass. So the first thing you should try is grab the latest drivers and see if they solve the problem.

In all my time in support (granted it wasn't that long, but still... :)) we only ever had one issue that was due to something SESI was doing wrong. And that was on an Octane2. Otherwise it was always the graphics cards manufacturers fault.

Oh yeah, Houdini 6.0 is very nice so far!

What I like most, though, is that SESI really listened to it's users. (Unlike most other developers). I mean, little features like the "Left" and "Back" orthographic view additions in the Viewer!

i believe with the addition of OTL's and the idea of being able to encapsulate everything associated with a particular OTL, it made sense to create networks within networks. say you have a spacecowboy that has a laser gun... just because. you can now keep all the related networks inside the object spacecowboy which simplifies the process of managing that asset using the OTL paradigm.

the re-addition of tree view was incorporated to make searching simpler now that a network can reside almost anywhere. asset management using OTL's seems absolutely, mind-bogglingly amazing to me. it's hard to believe something like this didnt already exist as i imagine any production facility requires a similar pipeline setup.

another very sweet feature, that arctor mentioned, and i have to second is that non-default values are in bold and where a checkbox or something like that has changed, a little dot will be next to it.

this makes going through and understanding other people's files significantly easier :)

Guest Guest

does openport now accept hcommand from another computer now? I can't really verify its working atm. Just checked openport help.

The -s option will allow the remote process to run only "safe"
        commands.