Houdini 6 beta ready for download!

modeler

HUDS rule... it seems like they could be more powerful (would be nice to have a rotational widget)... but still

yaay! :)

Did you know that you can drag and drop a parameter onto the viewport and it will create a hud for you?

neato...

damn...HUDs are cool....

FK/IK switching is nothing to sneeze at either....

seems like lots of stuff that XSI has...browser integration > like Net View or whatever they call it...

SESI have really outdone themselves :)

hey...notice that default values are normal font but changed values are in BOLD ?...neato

max has them...and I think XSI....

one thing that seems strange:

make a sphere

go up to the object level

grab any of it's params and drag it into the view > create HUD

you can't use them unless you go into geometry in the viewer....

wouldn't be better to be able to use the sliders no matter what context you are in?

the right-click "scope channels" on the hud isn't working

wow...no auto key on last frame....

Yea... I sort of remember MAX having something similar. Its been so long...

I think the HUDs are only disabled when you are in the View State. If you are in the Pose State they all become active again. Which is fine by me. :D

I also like the fact you can put a background image in your Network Editor. :)

jim.

Hey Arctor,

I'd love to answer some of your comments but I think that it's best if you posted your comments to the sesi forums so that we have a centralized place.

So some various comments:

- As far as I know, Houdini is currently the only one to offer an integrated browser on both Windows AND Linux

- The HUDs when dropped into the viewport are persistent handles. So they require that you go into something other than the View tool in order to manipulate them. I commonly use 's' to go into the transform tool for handle manipulation

- Scope Channels on any handle by default do not open the channel editor by default. To change this behaviour. See the "Handles" page from the Main Preferences... dialog under the Settings menu.

I really like Houdini 6 so far. I can see I'm going to need an explanation of how to effectively use GI and caustics though. I'm playing with it now, but these images are taking forever to render and the results are wretched. :(

I'm at a loss. Anyone want to post a simple example like a Cornell box or something?

I love the browser, lights, HUDs and interface shanges they have made. It also seems like the renderer has been optimized a bit. I opened a scene I made in 5.5 and rendered a frame. It finished much faster in 6 than 5.5.266. It took 4 minutes 41 seconds to render in Houdini 6, and 6 minutes and 16 seconds to reneder in Houdini 5.5 using the same options. That's a pretty huge improvement. :D

SESI is going to be posting up some of their invaluable movies pretty soon which will answer some questions.

The GI stuff, untweaked can take a lot longer to render. But that's GI for you. Once you learn some techniques for optimising your scenes and start to rely on the irradiance cache and so on, it starts to become reasonable again. My advice is that everyone hack on it and give SESI some good feedback and it'll improve in leaps and bounds.

Here are a couple of very early tests I made with the alpha version of 6.0

--

This is an image of an L-System with a krinkle displacement shader, depth-of-field, full irradiance indirect lighting. Took about 25 minutes to render during alpha.

h6_gi.jpg

--

This is a very high poly-count model of New York (about half a million polys) rendered with ambient occlusion only. This rendered in about 40 minutes.

ny_ao_h6_v1.jpg