Releases

Jason

Personally I believe that the best way to make a SOP Solver version would be wrap a DOPnet into a SOP OTL, but also develop a DOP which would analyze the geometry for other things, like constraint hints and stuff.

In that way you could keep the solver in DOPs, and have it masquerade as a SOP. Best of both worlds, right?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Personally I believe that the best way to make a SOP Solver version would be wrap a DOPnet into a SOP OTL, but also develop a DOP which would analyze the geometry for other things, like constraint hints and stuff.

In that way you could keep the solver in DOPs, and have it masquerade as a SOP. Best of both worlds, right?

I totally agree. I think the biggest challenge is to recreate the DOP network work flow into a simplified system if you want to do it in SOPs. The problem is the linear evaluation of the SOP network. The best thing in DOPs is data access and data update. So yeah it would be a challenge to make it a scalable solver that behaves as a state machine exclusively in SOPs. To give an example, we'd have to build a library for constraints, so that a constraint "knows" what to do when it needs to get updated or evaluated, unless we derive from the SIM constraint. But that may be reinventing the wheel. And that's not the only thing that would need to be implemented. Relationships, forces, fields etc. It would be great to design such a system in SOPs if we have time but that will also require the users some knowledge of the system.

So yeah a DOP network in a SOP network would be the best of both worlds I think.

I still haven't had a chance to update the latest plug-in that handles hinge and pin constraints and I probably won't have time for a while but I'll get to it as soon as I can.

Cheers,

Ron

Yeah, the SOP version sounds way cool. Can't wait to see what happens with that; it would be cool to contribute to it.

BTW, I put more of seth_ro18's changes into the branch at http://gitorious.org/~crydalch/bullet-physics-solver/rydalch-bullet-physics-solver.

Biggest additions are deformable static objects (called kinematic objects in bullet, see this video), impacts data, and good multisphere support. I'm updating a gitorious wiki page here with my notes, to-dos, etc if anyone's interested; I'll get the Bullet page on the OdWiki updated as well if anyone thinks that would help.

Seth also made lots of notes and comments in the code, so it should be explanatory to anyone wanting to work on it, or to anyone new to all of this trying to figure out how it all works.

Enjoy!

Edited by goldleaf

• 2 weeks later...

New update to the solver. Thanks lars for the heads up on that bug; the crashing when changing getDeepestImpactOnly is now gone. Also, added Cone primitive; bullet has two others, which are X and Z pointing; right now, only the y-direction primitive is used. The size is dictated by the Prim Sphere Radius, and Prim Capsule Length parameters.

You can get it here.

post-3767-127735593714_thumb.jpg

Edited by goldleaf

• 1 month later...

New update to the solver. Thanks lars for the heads up on that bug; the crashing when changing getDeepestImpactOnly is now gone. Also, added Cone primitive; bullet has two others, which are X and Z pointing; right now, only the y-direction primitive is used. The size is dictated by the Prim Sphere Radius, and Prim Capsule Length parameters.

You can get it here.

Hello

After raw compile under v11.0(win32/64), gets always 3772: Fatal error: Segmentation Fault

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I make a modification of bullet solver. Added a fixed time step parameter of a solver - now it is possible to have, for example, stable tower of plenty bricks. Value of fixed time step parameter 240 is normal. Set it to zero to get a mode of previous versions.

It tested on bullet 2.77, houdini 11.

bullet-physics-solver-0.12-almatea-modification.tar.gz

Edited by almatea

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Biggest additions are deformable static objects (called kinematic objects in bullet, see this video)

Goldleaf, please attach an example scene to setup deformable static objects.

Checked ‘Deformable Mesh’ on the RBD Object DOP and ‘Kinematic’ on the Bullet Data DOP does not work.

Thank you...

• 1 month later...

up , i need this help too, I am trying with Visual Studio 2005,no success!!

Did you solve this problem? I also got trouble to compile with Visual Studio 2005.

I try to compile using Visual Studio 2005. Here are my error message. Please give me advices.

1>LINK : warning LNK4098: defaultlib 'MSVCRT' conflicts with use of other libs; use /NODEFAULTLIB:library

1>SIM_SolverBullet.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: double __cdecl SIM_BulletData::getCollisionMargin(void)const " (__imp_?getCollisionMargin@SIM_BulletData@@QEBANXZ) referenced in function "protected: virtual class std::_Tree<class std::_Tmap_traits<int,struct bulletBodystr,struct std::less<int>,class std::allocator<struct std::pair<int const ,struct bulletBodystr> >,0> >::iterator __cdecl SIM_SolverBullet::addBulletBody(class SIM_Object *)" (?addBulletBody@SIM_SolverBullet@@MEAA?AViterator@?$_Tree@V?$_Tmap_traits@HUbulletBodystr@@U?$less@H@std@@V?$allocator@U?$pair@$$CBHUbulletBodystr@@@std@@@3@$0A@@std@@@std@@PEAVSIM_Object@@@Z)

Edited by zzangxx

• 2 years later...