how to protect Propreitory Otls?

I am developing custom Otls for my studio and I want to protect them without being leaked outside the studio. Now the point is that how do I go with it? I want to look it with some license server or such... finally How do I do that?

pls help me..

How is that? You don't want to share it with us? :blink:

I am developing custom Otls for my studio and I want to protect them without being leaked outside the studio. Now the point is that how do I go with it? I want to look it with some license server or such... finally How do I do that?

pls help me..

VEX based ones can be encrypted. You could even add a custom vex function which does a license check on init() if you want. As for node based digital assets there isn't anyway to prevent people from looking inside and seeing what's going on. I remember there was some talk of encrypting any type of digital assets, but I'm not sure what the current status of that is. Best contact SESI support.

Hi symek im very open to share lots of stuff... just like how you guys help us we are here to share....

But when we are in production and when things to be secured in the working area then it has to be done well.. so I thought to ask you guys how these plugins are developed with license...

Yes I want to encrypt the vex ones...

I thought there should be a method...

Hi symek im very open to share lots of stuff... just like how you guys help us we are here to share....

But when we are in production and when things to be secured in the working area then it has to be done well.. so I thought to ask you guys how these plugins are developed with license...

Yes I want to encrypt the vex ones...

I thought there should be a method...

Just look at the help for vcc. I believe the option is -c

But when we are in production and when things to be secured in the working area ...

This is interesting - I believe that the encryption for VEX and the discussion of encrypting OTLs is 99% of the time motivated by the potential of a commercial plug-in market for Houdini. Using encryption to secure resources in everyday production seems very strange to me. Why would you do that? I've worked in many companies and all the technology is quite open - with only a few exceptions (such as full source code access to, say, Nuke - and even for that you can see much of the plugin code if you really want to). Hiding techniques from your artists generates a negative vibe and can actually hinder productivity in the long run.

Jason are you implying studios should make their tools available for everyone to use ? :D

I think he is implying that implementing excessive copy protection within studio tools can be counter productive. It sends a bad message to employees, (we don't trust you), and can actually slow down production. I remember at one job we had a some proprietary in-house tools that were hooked up to the license server, which would fail from time to time. Nothing more frustrating than not being able to work because your own tool couldn't communicate with the license server.

This aside, sometimes these sorts of measures are required due to the contractual obligations with the production studios etc.

Ed once said, "If you steal someone's code all you do is inherit their bugs". Which is quite true. :)

Edited by Wolfwood

• 3 weeks later...

there are couple of things to point out... I agree certain things are true but at the same time things should be kept pretty closed.. instead of saying confidential.... because some guys put lots of time in figuring out how things are working instead of working in a productive environment.... but when once its said that its a custom plugin then there is no point he thinks of it again and ofcourse its a propreitory information and supposed to be confidential... But first of all everything is supposed to be productive instead of R & D at work..

there are couple of things to point out... I agree certain things are true but at the same time things should be kept pretty closed.. instead of saying confidential.... because some guys put lots of time in figuring out how things are working instead of working in a productive environment.... but when once its said that its a custom plugin then there is no point he thinks of it again and ofcourse its a propreitory information and supposed to be confidential... But first of all everything is supposed to be productive instead of R & D at work..

I completely disagree. If you allow your people to learn, it'll come back to you later in a good way. You might think that they wasted a hour here or there but you'll only generate better, more technical artists this way. Only interested (and capable) people really ever spend any time learning how things work, and those people you need to nurture in learning more. Keeping your workers uneducated and "productive" sounds the worst kind of early 20th century production-line mentality. Not even huge companies like Disney, who tend to need a formal production strategy more than most companies, think this way.