GeForce4 and houdini? SoftQuadro??

hello.

i'm using a G force 4 4400 TIT. it works alright for the money, it never gives me any trouble the only problem is the F**KING buttons have to up data ever time. so if your working on something big and just using edit sop you spend a life time waiting for the buttons to up data :angry: .

but i would still recommend the card i've used friend scomputers with other cards and there worse B) . does any one know as i'm ranting on why Houdini has to up the buttons no other app i've ever used has to do it. ths is the only thing i can ever complain about the software.

bren.

Well, after flattening the old machine (pesky web dev tools, db servers, etc) and installing a fresh win2k pro with Houdini 5.5 build 266 is running famously with the GeForce4 Ti 4200 128MB card. No tweeking yet and no problems.

Next step is to see if SoftQuadro adds anything to the picture (so to speak).

-ctj

i used softquadro and noticed some definite improvements. what i mainly noticed was:

1. the near culling setting no longer needed to be adjusted for my geometry to look right

2. render times were a little bit faster

3. many times when i would render to iplay, it wouldn't render the entire frame. it would render just the central area and then just spin its wheels and nothing more would ever show up. with softquadro, it renders the entire field everytime... which was nice :)

recently, i have redone my system and have to reinstall it. i have downloaded both rivatuner and softquadro; however, i can't seem to find the URL that has the installation walk-through :( if you happen across it, please post the link.

will

I have a 32MB geforce2 at home that is softquadro'd and a 64MB geforce2Ultra at work which is not....

both run Maya just fine but the Ultra is dog slow in Houdini, if I turn on the construction plane I can't tumble at all :(

but the geforce at home is sweet...no troubles at all

here is a link to the guide that I used:

http://www.darksunworld.com/LightWave3D/So...QuadroGuide.zip

I softquadro'ed my GeForce2 a good while ago, and I'm still using the 12.90 drivers that were new at the time (hey, if it ain't broke...). No major issues in Houdini, and I get to keep smooth lines, which I'm quite fond of. :D