Audi filter

Rudinie

I just watched this: http://motionographer.com/theater/audi-filter-making-of/ and was impressed. This clearly is not Houdini but i don't know what program it is (Thinking Particles? Krakatoa?).

How would a similar look be made with the use of Houdini? Can Houdini handle 50 million particles?

Anyway, it's well excecuted and a pleasure for the eyes.

hey steven

no, there isn't any built-in fluid forces, i know there's some fluid type stuff in beta(external companies), and as far as i remember there is some curl noise type compounds out there.

jason

Here is a quick example of this type of thing. Note that the setup has some extra nodes in there for some additional turbulence and so on. As for 50m particles, you might want to split it up into a few 10m particle advections - for manageability and speed. Mantra can render that as instances or point prims no problem.

fluid_advection.hip

fluid_advection.avi

Dead simple, really - nothing special about it at all. Nothing worth making a promo out of, IMHO...

pretty cool jason

you could also create a curl noise VOP POP instead of the wind noise to make it feel more fluid like. :)

jason

Yeah, I was going to do that:) but I thought just for simplicity I'd just use Wind turbulence.