Houdini 11 issues

I am super stoked to break into Houdini 11 and start to play, only problem is it won't open :(

Everything installed okay, but when I try to start it, a houdini console window flashes (for a split second) and says "Fatal Error: Segmentation Fault" and then nothing happens. I have tried updating the video card driver, but no change.

Anyone else have this issue? Am I doing something wrong?

Houdini 11.0.446.9

Windows 7 64-bit

video card: nvidia geforce gtx 470

Zach

Edited by zglynn

As points of comparison, does MPlay, hbatch or houdini -s Textport run?

There is a known issue with the Nvidia version 256 drivers and above which we reported a month ago (internal Cg compiler error in the main default material shader). However, this shouldn't crash Houdini, just disable most of the viewport effects. You might be able to install the 197 drivers for the 470, which work fine.

zglynn,

I have the "Segmentation Fault" problem (and relative crash) when I try to render a simple scene (1 cube, 1 spot, 1 camera).

I have a Geforce 8600GT with 196.21 drivers and it works flawlessly with H10.

I'll try the malexander's suggestion (197 drivers), but it seems H11 wants workstation level video cards like Quadro. :unsure:

I'll let you know if there'll be good news.

Ciao

I'm using a 197 driver now, but still H11 will not open. I tried mplay, houdini -s, gplay, from the command line, but same thing always happens. I get a quick pop-up window that says "5620: Fatal error: Segmentation Fault"

I don't know what is causing it.

Houdini Apprentice 11.0.446.9

Windows 7 64-bit

video card: nvidia geforce gtx 470

Zach

Heya,

Had a similar seg fault error after installing houdini aswell, and someone on the houdini forums mentioned setting the compatibility option of the exe to Windows Vista service pack 2. This fixed the problem for me. Hope this helps :)

Azhul

Guest Swann

zglynn,

I have the "Segmentation Fault" problem (and relative crash) when I try to render a simple scene (1 cube, 1 spot, 1 camera).

I have a Geforce 8600GT with 196.21 drivers and it works flawlessly with H10.

I'll try the malexander's suggestion (197 drivers), but it seems H11 wants workstation level video cards like Quadro. :unsure:

I'll let you know if there'll be good news.

Ciao

Hey thinkinmonkey,

I also have 8600GT, and H11 works but after some time of working in it, if I zoom in on something, viewport begins to darken, zoom out and it again brighten up. I got info from support that "Our System Requirements have changed from Houdini 10 to Houdini 11. You will need to upgrade your graphics card/driver.". But it's strange that i happens after some time. When I reload Houdini it again looks normal.

EDIT: Just downloaded production build of H11 and latest build also and I will see if this effect repeats in those builds.

Edited by SWANN

how is it that running it in vista sp2 mode works for win7 users, but having vista 64 with sp2 doesn't?

also, should it take 20 minutes to install (and uninstall)? because on a laptop running Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit it seems to install very quickly. granted the unpacking and installing are 2 separate steps, but still much faster. aren't laptop hd's slower than desktop hd's?

lastly, when it is suggested to install w/ antivirus sw disabled, is it still required to be online. ( you can stop laughing, i'm serious. ) it says it is installing correctly, but what if the av is impeding it, and w/o internet i'd be a little safer, let it finish and get the dialog to install the keys manually. just a thought. again, at least a 40 minute round trip just to test it though.

Guest Swann

My problems still shows on latest build and updated drivers, but it looks that resizing viewport, even only a small amount, solves this issue and viewport again look normal.

I am having some problems. The License Administrator won't open in the MAC. So I can't receive an Apprentice License.

When I try to open H11, I receive this message.

post-3936-12808725071_thumb.png

Also. If I try to open License Administrator from terminal:

The Houdini 11.0.460 environment has been initialized.

vfx001:Resources fabiano$ hkey

vfx001:Resources fabiano$ ERROR: Couldn't open resource file "resources" (No such file or directory)

UT_Interrupt: Couldn't find sbin/idialog

Color name 'ListEntry1' is missing from the theme.

Color name 'ListEntry2' is missing from the theme.

Color name 'ListTitleGradHi' is missing from the theme.

Color name 'ListTitleGradLow' is missing from the theme.

Couldn't find font Proportional.12 - using default instead

Couldn't find font Proportional.9 - using default instead

And goes like that forever.

Edited by Fabiano Berlim

I am having some problems. The License Administrator won't open in the MAC. So I can't receive an Apprentice License.

If you're running hkey from a terminal, try running the $HFS/houdini_setup script first. It'll setup the paths correctly for all the UI elements to be found.

if i try 'sudo hkey'

vfx001:Resources fabiano$ sudo hkey

Password:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/11.0.462/Resources/bin/hkey", line 140, in <module>

main()

File "/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/11.0.462/Resources/bin/hkey", line 121, in main

path = check_hfs()

File "/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/11.0.462/Resources/bin/hkey", line 48, in check_hfs

path = os.environ['HFS']

File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/UserDict.py", line 22, in __getitem__

raise KeyError(key)

KeyError: 'HFS'

I'll reinstall Snow Leopard but would be nice to understand the problem.

Edited by Fabiano Berlim

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

When I try to open H11, I receive this message.

post-3936-12808725071_thumb.png

Also. If I try to open License Administrator from terminal:

The Houdini 11.0.460 environment has been initialized.

vfx001:Resources fabiano$ hkey

vfx001:Resources fabiano$ ERROR: Couldn't open resource file "resources" (No such file or directory)

UT_Interrupt: Couldn't find sbin/idialog

Color name 'ListEntry1' is missing from the theme.

Color name 'ListEntry2' is missing from the theme.

Color name 'ListTitleGradHi' is missing from the theme.

Color name 'ListTitleGradLow' is missing from the theme.

Couldn't find font Proportional.12 - using default instead

And goes like that forever.

I have the proportional font problem under 11.1. Totally weird. Does anyone have a solution for this?

thanks