Twisted Tree

DaJuice

thanks!

meshsmooth: it's not very procedural if you mean the modeling. It's just plain traditional poly-modeling. Actually if you want I can put up the whole network, but it's some 1260 SOPs. :blink: For the shader, only the spikes are jpgs, the rest is procedural and it's all contained in one surface, and one displace shader. Here's the wire of the model...

tree-wire.jpg

Jason: render times were atrocious, like 15hrs for the first pic. I had to set the shading rate to 3 for it to look good. Well, it didn't look bad with the default shading rate, but you loose a lot of detail. Plus I was using Ambient Occlusion (too lazy to set up a few fill lights, doh!) and a big area light. The buckets behind the left-most root with the really soft shadow too like and 1-2 hours each (800mhz P3). :ph34r:

Jason: render times were atrocious, like 15hrs for the first pic. I had to set the shading rate to 3 for it to look good.

Hey DaJuice,

Very nice job on the tree :)

But... 15 hours ?!?!?!!!!!!!!! :blink:

Good god man; that's insane!

So; I'm really curious about a couple of things...

1. Roughly, how much faster does it render without the ambient occlusion and at a shading quality of 1?

2. Any guesses as to how much time-expense each one of those things adds on their own?

3. What exactly didn't look good at a shading quality of 1 that made you go to 3?

4. I'm pretty sure you haven't tested this given your render times, but is the shadow noisy when the cam moves (even at what I suspect is a very high sampling rate)?

I'm asking because I'm quite certain that I'll never have the patience to wait that long to test something :rolleyes: ... but since you've already done it, I'm curious. :P

Cheers!

would people be willing to make a group effort to make some tests?

maybe if DaJuice was willing to send the file we could all fire off a render with a bunch of different settings and see what kind of optimizations we could come up with...

thoughts?...commments?

would people be willing to make a group effort to make some tests?

maybe if DaJuice was willing to send the file we could all fire off a render with a bunch of different settings and see what kind of optimizations we could come up with...

thoughts?...commments?

That's a good idea. If DaJuice is willing, then I'm in! :)

(though I wouldn't be able to really look into it for another two weeks or so)

I had a feeling you were going to have high render-times. There are quite a few things you can do to speed up renders like these - and in the bruce-force raytracing style you used, probably the most important is Raytraced Level-Of-Detail.

Raytracing in mantra is very very fast (faster than prmans). What's killing this render is the raytracing against a displacement shader. Here are some tips:

If you can, avoid raytracing:

*) Use a dome light, and shadowmaps. You'll end up with frame times like 7mins.

If you really want to raytrace,

*) Keep your Raytraced LOD very low. This will make the tessellated polys for raytracing against less dense, especially where there is a displacement shader involved.

*) Keep your Shading Quality as low as is visually pleasing. (This is for primary rays, and if you have your Shading Quality up high, it'll send more secondary rays too. Maybe easily 9x as many as SQ set to 1.)

*) Use the (very recently fixed) irradiance cache. This can give the overall effect of being able to have very fine primary ray shading (Shading Quality) while effectively sending fewer secondary rays into the scene, because many rays will rather look into the cache than intersect against the dense tessellated displacement geometry.

*) If you can get away with it, rather raytrace against an alternate lower-resolution, non-displaced geometry.

*) Bake your Ambient Occlusion once and for all using mantra -u, if you have good uv's.

I think it'd be great for a few people to attempt to get the maximum speed out of it at a set camera at 640x480 and then post your findings. I'll try it too :D

Hold on, I'll zip up the file and be back. I haven't tried any of the OTL business yet, hope that's not a biggy. Not sure what I'm gonna do about the jpgs for the spikes. They are 4096x4096 each so I'll probably just size 'em down to 1024x1024 with crappy compression.

Ok, here you go. :)

http://www.geocities.com/stehrani3d/3dfiles/Tree.zip (Right Click>Save Target)

It is not a zip file. It's actually a rar file, I just had to rename it because geocities doesn't allow that extension. The compression was just a lot better with rar. Use WinRAR if you don't have it...WinRAR

Mario:

1) A lot faster, maybe 3-5 hrs, but I'm not 100% sure.

2) Hard to say, each of those things seemed to be roughly the same as far as increasing render times.

3) There is a world of difference when rendering with a shading rate of 3 as oppsed to 1, at least with this particular shader. If you do a close up render of the bark at these settings you can see it very clearly, everything looks much more crisp at 3.

4) Actually, the sampling rate is at the default 16. I was also surprised bacause I expected more noise in the shadow. As for animation, this particular kind of noise is not too bad at all because it's so fine-grained (at least on a tv), I've rendered animations with worse and it looked ok. The really noticable noise comes from the irradiance caching stuff.

Jason: Good info! I knew there was probably a slew of different things you could do to optimize the scene. Since I have no deadline here, I can just let it render with everything cranked up. :D Of course that will have to change if I try to put this into an animation. :ph34r: