How to use the new For Loop SOP?

Hi,

I can't figure out how to use the new For Loop SOP. It's very cryptic. I watched the masterclass but I need practical examples on how to loop groups, attributes, numbers, etc. All this metadata, merging feedback with fetch piece with references between multiple nodes defining the loop seems overly complicated.

I think SESI took a step back with this new SOP in terms of usability.

Am I the only one? Any ideas?

i have to agree.... it's trying to find a novel solution to an inherent problem with data-flow style networks.  frankly, a subnet seems like a reasonable means to contain your loop, not sure what the impetus was to unwrap it into the new method.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's a little wacky but I think that's to be expected with any new workflow. I think it's pretty clever actually, love the unification of style between Vop and Sop loops too. It's easy to forget how weird using the ForEach Sop was at first, trying to figure out how to use stamp expressions inside there was not cool, but now it's second nature. Same with Vop If block and loops, you just gotta fiddle with it until it clicks and then it's easy breezy, no problemo, after a while crocodile.

Yep, the push to "@attrib all the things" is great for consistency; new users can learn loops one way, and find it works almost identical in sop, vops, shops. That's nice.

(edit)

Oh, and the ability to debug by running a single arbitrary step is boss, that alone will stop me from going back to old style loops.

Edited by mestela
  • Like 1

It would probably be easy to create an asset that mimics the behavior of the old For Loop, wouldn't it?  Not 1-1, but you could get pretty close... make a subnet within a subnet editable, and the target dive-in node, wrapped by the new for loop nodes... you could probably even create all of the old local variables this way if you wanted to... not that you should.

Edited by jonp

• 2 weeks later...

I like that they're flat, and less ../$VAR malarkey. Here's a few examples, its mostly making sense to me now. Do you have any specific examples of things that you don't understand?

Sorry for the late reply. Your example file is useful. I just didn't know the right steps to create these setups. All this interdependent nodes that make up the For Loops seem a little tricky to understand and the terms they use in the UI. It doesn't seem as straightforward as Foreach Numbers, Points, Prims, etc. I will see if I can find some other examples I don't know how to create.

• 3 weeks later...

I might be stupid but I can't figure this one out. Say I have two pieces of different geometry, with matching ID attributes. With the old Foreach Subnet, I can easily plug them in to the first two inputs - and inside duplicate the Each SOP to the second input. I can now loop over matching pairs of geometries.

How can I do this with the new Foreach? If I duplicate the Block Begin SOP I would expect it to do the same as described above, but all it does is giving me the same geometry as the original Block Begin - even if the input is different. Am I doing it wrong?

I can throw together a small example later if you don't understand what I mean.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm having a difficult time using the new loops method too. I kind of get it on SOP level. What I can't get my head around are the VOP/SHOP loops. To be honest, even with the old method I didn't understand this a whole lot. Are there any very basic examples of using loops in shaders? Information in docs or in available resources are very sparse and not offering an explanation I would understand. Currently, I'm wondering how can I use a point clouds in VOP/SHOP loops but I'd like to better understand how to use the whole thing in general.

Thanks for any help on this guys ;-) 

Edited by davpe

• 1 year later...