3delight shaders in houdini

Hi. I wanted to start learning 3Delight with Houdini and I have problems getting the shaders into Houdini.

I have set my environment variables right, I think. Either editing the Houdini.env file or in the Windows enironment variables I've added

HOUDINI_DEFAULT_RIB_RENDERER=3Delight9.0

HOUDINI_VIEW_RMAN=renderdl

HOUDINI_RI_SHADERPATH=C:\Program Files\3Delight\shaders

Then I tried to import the 3Delight shaders by importing the shaders.otl from the 3Delight shaders folders. The otl seems to load but I can't see the shaders in shop context.

I tried also replacing the hrmanshader.C in the public folder with the one from this thread http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=6444&highlight=3delight with no succes.

Am I doing something wrong or there is another way to get this working? I'm quite noob with renderman renderers so please help.

Thanks !

Hi mihai,

I've got the same problem also with that. I don't know why it didn't work even tough I followed the same steps as the manual says. I use 3Delight regularly in my studio but I used it with Maya since the plugins is connecting really well with it. But if you want to get a grip on renderman and you want Houdini as the medium, maybe you can try AIR 10 Demo and try it for yourself.

Here's the link :

http://www.sitexgraphics.com/html/download.html

Some says the setups and the integration is much better than 3Delight, since 3Delight seems to aim more towards Maya and Softimage XSI

Cheers...

houdini filters the shaders by renderengine. default it only shows mantra nodes. when You open Edit>Preferences>Rendering You can multiselect Your renderengines

when You add 3delight the shaders are displayed

omg that's it. I didn't even tought of this. Now it works.

One single question I have. How can I make the renderman framebuffer render in MPlay? I didn't quite understood the procedure with proto install. ???

Thanks in advance!

• 5 months later...

I've solved the issue...I was having some problems with some missing variables that I needed to add...

hey do you mind sharing your steps on seting this up? I think I'll dig into this in the weekend as I want to configure 3Delight and Houdini but it would be my first time so any guidelines would be very helpful :)

thanks!

• 3 months later...

I've solved the issue...I was having some problems with some missing variables that I needed to add...

what was the missing variables?

i think i have the same kinds of problems, when i render an object with a rsl_vopmaterial with 3delight , i got this error :

3DL ERROR S2050: cannot find shader 'C:/Users/ploufplouf/AppData/Local/Temp/vop_RSL/untitled/rsl_vopmaterial1/rsl_vopmaterial1_864_surface

should be a problem of environment variable i think , but dont know which

Thanks.

Sylvain.

Edited by sly

• 12 years later...

None of this worked for me on H19.5.716 with equivalent compatible 3DL. There is no 3DL entry in Edit>Preferences>Rendering, and the only way I can access the shaders is by going to the Mat area and adding the shaders manually (right click). Then it worked. Viewport shading and everything.