Challenge: condensation trails

The goal of this challenge is to visualize the movement of a certain object over time. Examples are condensation trails of jets or a robotic arm, that is painting (see both attached movies).

Rules:

1.) The objects need not be moved along a motion-path. They can be animated by keyframes or even be simulated by rigid-body dynamics.

2.) The trail or paint is smearing over time.

Hope you like it :)

P.S.: Is there any free program, that creates good animated gifs? ImageMagick's convert produces huge files. :blink:

jetplane.avi

Nice anims!

But after posting this yesterday, I remembered that Houdini has a built in trail-SOP! I was building a solution, without this SOP, which was much more challenging.

So to make it a bit more interesting:

Rule 3) The use of the trail-SOP is forbidden :P

Typing in the operator name to create it isn't always good, because I would have noticed the trail-SOP before, if I had to search the OPs in the menus :-(

IMHO, the only restriction on challenges should be the use of houdini alone. One could argue that by doing this challenge without the use of the trail sop you might learn something new about houdini that you didn't know before. However, there's many of us new to houdini that wouldn't even know how to use the trail sop to accomplish this effect which means that this restriction would be silly. I'd say, let's promote the most clever use of houdini irregardless of what features are used.

• 7 months later...

Hey anakin78z,

Your cartoony speed blur looks cool so I thought I'd give it a go. I'm passing color and alpha up from pops to sops and using add to join the particles with lines then I skin them. Everything works swell in wire mode, I can even see the color and alpha but after I skin it it goes black and when I render it renders black. Don't suppose you could throw me a bone. ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...