Project a point onto a geometry in VOPs

Netvudu

Hi there.

I know I can project a point over a deformed grid (for instance) using a Ray SOP, but it does so using the minimum distance, and what I want is to project on one axis (let´s say Y).

I was able to get something similar to what I wanted with a creep SOP, but I´m pretty this must be quite simple to do in VOPs.

I was thinking something along the lines of :

-Input two geometries into a VOP SOP

- Use X and Z coordinates from geometry 1 (the point)

- Use Y coordinates from geometry 2 (the grid)

But I don´t seem to be able to do this.

A little push from anyone?

Edited by Netvudu

Hi eetu. You are right (us usual :P). Also, thanks for the file, though I tried it first on my own example and I could clearly see it worked.

I would be interested though, in my original question. I mean, I like finding "VOP ways" because it helps me to learn VOPs.

Edited by Netvudu

• 1 year later...

No, i mean 1 and -1.  For example, if i place one grid on top of another, and put a mountain sop on one of them and want to ray the other grid to it.

The mountain sop translates points in 1 and -1 by default.

The ray sop only translates points in 1 and -1 if you use minimum distance, which sometimes isn't what's needed.

When not using minimum distance I have to choose either 1, or -1, which only translates about half the points.

Or I could to use 2 ray sops, one set to 1, one set to -1.

A vop works I suppose but it seems like such a simple thing to add to the ray sop, since the feature is already in there.