Houdini Marking Menu??

N!K

it´s a Maya menu which hovers over the screen when you press the shortcut, supposedly meant to fasten up your workflow, but in practice, making everything look ugly, and cluttered...

...you know, for the poor chaps who have icons and infinite menus instead of directly writing the tool names :D

Okay, I know what you're talking about now. I started with Maya and I remember it being called a hot box or hot menu, something like that (hold space bar to get it, right?). I can see how it would be useful for modeling like adding edge loops and such but I don't do any modeling and don't miss it at all. As far as I know there isn't something like that for Houdini.

sure, and what about having nodes in Maya? no seriously, the tab menus are much better

allo allo,

I'm am just wondering if houdini 12 has a marking menu similar to maya? or if someone has built a third party function?

thanks

it´s a Maya menu which hovers over the screen when you press the shortcut, supposedly meant to fasten up your workflow, but in practice, making everything look ugly, and cluttered...

...you know, for the poor chaps who have icons and infinite menus instead of directly writing the tool names :D

I rarely give credit to Maya but for modeling its actually pretty useful having the marking menus :) You can make commands like extrudes, bevel, merge vertices, insert edge loop, split etc by just shift+rmb and flicking the mouse in a direction, you dont even need to see the actual menu if you know in which direction your option is.. even multiple layered "flicking" like going left then up etc for different commands. This is magnitudes faster than modeling by TAB+typing node names when modeling having to release the mouse all the time.

So for the odd time I actually have to do modeling, i do it in Maya because its way faster than Houdini. All other love goes to Houdini hehe :)

This is magnitudes faster than modeling by TAB+typing node names when modeling having to release the mouse all the time.

If you're gonna be organic modeling, then you should be assigning hotkeys to the tools. From a forgotten thread, Marc H mentioned that he assigns them to the keys on the numeric keypad for easy invocation.

• 1 year later...

The term you are looking for is "radial menu". It's one of the more efficient UI layouts for menus.

We're not alone!!

Commoradial.jpgbumptop-22.jpgRadialMenuDecember.jpg

Though it would not work well as an efficient replacement for Houdini's TAB menu, it would be great for context sensitive stuff. Radial menus feel wonderful if you layer them, as commands become guesture based.

For example: in Maya I have a "Marking Menu" set up for skinning. One of the options is for mirroring skin weights. So I activate the menu and gesture to the right to activate the Mirror Weights tool... then guesture left to mirror the weights from left to right (might feel odd... but this is because I'm referring to the character's left and right sides). The point is, I activate the tool and swing the mouse around and I get a result.

One...

markingmenu1.jpg

... and two.

markingmenu2.jpg

Saves time and, more importantly, saves my brain from having to disengage from the task at hand. Focus is priceless. I'd love to see this in Houdini... and any application, for that matter.

Yes, hotkeys are great, but it can be difficult to remember all of them. More imporantly, I find that I quickly run out of hotkeys when considering all the modeling and rigging processes. With these menus, I just assign the "B" key to activate my "bone tools" and then I just guesture in a direction to access the tool... or tool options. Feels very fluid... and one step closer to Minority Report like control.

2494667_orig.jpeg

1 more vote for customizable radial menus inside of Houdini!

*edit*

Speaking of which... 6 hours later and I noticed this in my feed: http://www.engadget....-free-form-app/

- Jeremy

Edited by verbal007