Artillery hit, tank explosion and other goodies

Hudson

Hello guys!

This is a FX breakdown for a school project. The goal of the project was to create a World War 1 scene. The total length for the shot is 35 seconds.

It is worth to mention that this is mine and Davids "Skybar" second project using Houdini.

We wanted to learn the Maya-> Houdini pipeline and we used alembic to achieve our results.

Houdini was used for all simulations.

The artilley hit and a great part of the explosion shading was made by David.

I was responssible for the tank explosion, tank shot and the tank's exhaustion pipe smoke.

We had one month to learn, create and render all the simulations as well as doing some rotoscoping and modelling. We were able to do all of this with your help, with this fantastic forum with lots of information and knowledge. Expect an update with higher smoke resolution and less flickering on the glow from the tank explosion.

I hope you enjoy it and have have a good one!

/Hudson & David

Edited by Hudson
  • Like 1

Lovely work! I only wish there had been some dramatic closeup shots of the explosion in slow motion so I could breathe it all in ;)

Thank you, I am glad you liked it! I would be cool to do a slow-mo on the explosion. altough the little time we was given was barely enougth to render the explosion. :)

Obrigado(thx) Joaquim!

Yes that is true. we had a hard time trying to recreate the envinroment in cg. maybe some mud sim would also do the trick. Well it is still a lot to learn. I am glad you liked it!

Hi again!

Well, yeah, the mud sim might help however I would approach it differently. I'm not an expert compositor or something like that, be advised! But I would try and get some valid reference from the backplate/sourceplate to help me grade my cg to the plate. So, in the case of the green tank, I would probably pick the steel helmet from the guy as a reference of a green metal object and grade the tank accordingly. The same could be used for smoke, grade it based on the smoke from the guns.

As a final touch, in the end of the network (if you're using a node based approach like Nuke) I would use a node grade to adjust the overall gamma (so, the sourceplate and CG) a tad down (by a tad I mean something really really low... .01 to .1 or something... You'll see! ;) ). This overall darkening tends to help the integration look...

But these are my 2 cents!

hålla upp det goda arbetet (don't fail me now google translate! ;) )

I'm glad you liked it as well, and great tips Joaqium! I didn't do very much composting on this, it is quite a grey area for me, but it is very much appreciated to get some good feedback from you guys :)

hålla upp det goda arbetet (don't fail me now google translate! ;) )

Hehe!

Thx a lot Joaquim!

As David said we didn't do much in comp in this project. altough we forwarded your tips to our compositor. So we will try to make some changes based on your tips for a final render