Houdini 14 Wishlist

LaidlawFX

@David

It's not that I'm forced to take new change, or I haven't seen it before I have to use enough packages to see beauty in Modo, Nuke, Clarisse, and I think I roll pretty well with the punches, plus many others. I have also known many people that get forced out with these changes in time from not being able to keep up with Jonse's. It's the fact you go into something and get a one two punch and no explanation for the change. It's like how did I insult you, before I got punched? Nope just a punch when the typical greeting always worked. In business it's knowing and respecting you're user basis, not trapping them in the past to make the old memories stay like you said, but bringing them along for the journey to buy the new innovate way. SideFX is pretty good with the Customer Relation though I think they are loosing out on the Mixer this year at Siggraph. You ask they help, but they need a strong direction. Branching with out focus and never finishing anything is not a stable business model. I am ranting again, it's hard not to in this area.

I do gladly thank you for pointing out the drop down. That will save a bunch of time. I just wish that menu was common, since, it is not repeated in a single other place in Houdini. SideFX should just make their existing preset system they had for ages work. It used to be you could even hand edit them, but then they threw that baby out with the bath water, and now it's a pretty broken system. 

@Petr

Yes code like that code is faster to type, and you are clearly a programmer by right with that logic. Nothing wrong with that, it's great to be able to bring that skill into to. I picked a bad example, to follow up I offer this to a programmer mind set. 

As far as this:

AttributeWrangle:
v@attrName; = done

What's the history? Where did the language syntax become? Is it easier to write a large syntax of nodal coding with this language? Is the extent of this language just for just patch work. How would I create a box? Is VEX Expression have matching equivalent in all the other languages. What is this language developed to solve? What are the equivalent expressions in other languages? 

This is not a developed language. I would be happy if VEX Expression and Python replaced all the multiple languages one for internal code, and one for pipeline building, but they don't, they just add with a few new tricks and a lot more unanswered questions. 

LOL, or the artist has failed to learn new tricks ;)

Yes but most studios can only pay for a content artist. If I can higher a maya or max artist to press a few buttons to get close enough to create the content than that's all I need. A.k.a Houdini Engine, the content creators dream. But you need to higher one super user to make it work and make sure every artist is efficiently using it. How many trick can you ask a person to learn before all the time they spend is learning? Where is the efficiency and productivity trade off to self education? Why not just design a UI that has physical simalirty besides contextual similarity. That is a great failure of the developer to not develop a common workflow. This is why Apple is king, and Google chases behind them, Houdini is a complete failure in growth in design. At least Maya just doesn't care so stuff allways stays the same.   

Houdini is a complete failure in growth in design. 

It's probably more that we are seeing it grow and comparing to the new software on the block. All bets the newer software will look like Houdini, or way worse, when it reaches 25 years old!

It's probably more that we are seeing it grow and comparing to the new software on the block. All bets the newer software will look like Houdini, or way worse, when it reaches 25 years old!

The sad thing is it doesn't matter it reach 25, 50 or even a 100years which I hope one day. It has to compete with the today. There are plenty of business models that become out of growth with the current market and go under. R&H just as old as SideFX were both old companies that didn't update with the time and went under. Death doesn't mean complete death, but it's still a bitter evolution to finally catch up.

I don't know if that's been suggested before but as a new H user I'd love to get another display flag that hides all parameters on a node that have not been modified. The reason why I like Houdini so much now is because I can just grab a hip file and follow someone's logic. Having all those parameters when you're not that familiar with what a node does is really confusing, not to mention time consuming.

It might also be handy to experienced users when tweaking their networks, who knows ;3 

• Like 1

The sad thing is it doesn't matter it reach 25, 50 or even a 100years which I hope one day. It has to compete with the today. There are plenty of business models that become out of growth with the current market and go under. R&H just as old as SideFX were both old companies that didn't update with the time and went under. Death doesn't mean complete death, but it's still a bitter evolution to finally catch up.

It's certainly no walk in the park to be competitive in this crazy marketplace, and with that, I have great faith in SideFx, reinvesting recently in HoudiniFx, confident that it's the best way to go, after evaluating all other 3d options.  As always, though, 'trust in the universe but tie your camel' is apt in choosing your professional toolset :)

More control over constraints

Have more control over the locations of the constraints (ie: instead of always just the centroid). It would be cool if you could have multiple constraints in different locations of the same piece. Could create some interesting hinging and secondary animation effects.

Match xform tool

A tool that takes a deforming piece of geo and calculates a 4x4 matrix, which can then be used to perfectly transform a similar piece of geometry that has a different point count.  One of the many very good uses for this would be creating proxy collision geo for DOPs without the need to tick on "use deforming geo."

VDB Simulations

Improved ROP tool

The geo rop could be a lot better.  A tool that can run multiple sims on multiple threads, in parallel, in the background.  It would have a global variable to access the current thread.  This can be used in switches, seed values, etc.  Also the ability to chunk out frames of non-sim geo, on different threads.

Rendertime multipliers for pscale and v on particles

The vm_pointscale parm on a geo object node allows control of pscale for points at render time, but not for particles.  This is important because particles can receive lighting and shadows, while points cannot.

Kind of a problem.  

A lot of times when I do a smoke or dust pyro sim, I do an extra pass of advected particles to add a little gritty texture to comp in.  I need the self shadowing that I can get from particles, regular points won't have shadows.  

Millions of points, huge amounts of geo, and delayed loads must be used.  Currently I have to re-write out the particles to tweak the pscale. It would be EXTREMELY useful to be able control particles pscale at render time.

multi-segmented motion blur for deforming geometry.

Edited by loudsubs
  • Like 1

More control over constraints

Have more control over the locations of the constraints (ie: instead of always just the centroid). It would be cool if you could have multiple constraints in different locations, holding together the same 2 pieces. Could create some interesting hinging and secondary animation effects.

Default tools gives you this option - connectadjacentpieces has this parameter called Connection Type.

Rendertime multipliers for pscale and v on particles

The vm_pointscale parm on a geo object node allows control of pscale for points at render time, but not for particles.  This is important because particles can receive lighting and shadows, while points cannot.

Kind of a problem.  

A lot of times when I do a smoke or dust pyro sim, I do an extra pass of advected particles to add a little gritty texture to comp in.  I need the self shadowing that I can get from particles, regular points won't have shadows.  

Millions of points, huge amounts of geo, and delayed loads must be used.  Currently I have to re-write out the particles to tweak the pscale. It would be EXTREMELY useful to be able control particles pscale at render time.

points, particles whats the difference, when rendering cached sims I always use the pointscale parm to tweak. not sure what You mean it does not work on particles

@sanostol

This scene shows my issue.  Hit render.  The blue point has a particle system and in the render it has a specular highlight.  If there were a bunch they would shadow eachother.  The red point has no particle system and it renders flat.  Both have a pscale=1 set in sops, then the vm_pointscale parm at obj level set to 0.25.  Only the non-particle, without lighting effects in scaled down.

@rayman

I'll have to have a good look at that, guess it's become reflex to just use pieces.  Thanks

pscale.hipnc

Edited by loudsubs

Isn't Extract Transform for this?

Match xform tool
A tool that takes a deforming piece of geo and calculates a 4x4 matrix, which can then be used to perfectly transform a similar piece of geometry that has a different point count.  One of the many very good uses for this would be creating proxy collision geo for DOPs without the need to tick on "use deforming geo."

extractTransform.hip

Edited by pezetko

Any H14 leaks so far? :) I am anxiously waiting to see what SESI is doing.

only that they will show something at siggraph :-)

it's impressive that is so quiet about H13.5 and H14..... 

i was hoping that they will make a small trailer whats coming..... 

• Like 1

only that they will show something at siggraph :-)

it's impressive that is so quiet about H13.5 and H14..... 

i was hoping that they will make a small trailer whats coming..... 

Lol, As much as I heart SideFX I'm not sure I can bare another small trailer from them(technically the interns)... Let the studios show the art for them. 

• Like 2

Lol, As much as I heart SideFX I'm not sure I can bare another small trailer from them(technically the interns)... Let the studios show the art for them.

Agree. But doing this kind of trailers is a good production testing for new release.Well it should be =)Usually new houdini release almost unusable in production for 2-3 months after release.

Anyway. Hope H14 brings us A LOT of usability and speed improvements.

did anybody mention this one?

op: references that actually embed into ifd's and are accessible my mantra.  ideally thi s would also extend into the transform operation in shaders so you could move between arbitrary spaces as defined by houdini objects that may or may not technically be in the scene as renderable items.

i'd like to be able to control all object properties from inside of sops.  you can do some things (like material assignments) but other things (like render procedural settings) don't work.  it'd be great to unify the system so that you have a proper heirarchy of settings with the most granular taking precedence over the parent settings.  this is generally the implementation, but there are loads of exceptions currently.