How to make an object flying throug the cloud?

PaulM3D

Greetings!

First of all, I am new in Houdini. I like it CloudFX very much. And here is my question: how can I simulate an object flying through CloudFX cloud, with trail, hole in cloud etc?

It would be great, if you can give me at least direction, where I could find my answers. Thanks!

Edited by PaulM3D

Hello !

for that kind of effects you most likely will have to use DOPs !

you will have to turn your cloud into a smoke objet (or pyro if needed) and pipe it into a smoke or pyro solver, and for the object, you will have to turn it into either a static object or a RBD objet (depending on the animation you need) and pipe it into the corresponding solver, and finnally merge the two together !

EDIT : this is kind of a old workflow i think, i proposed it becaus it is usually easier to put otgether for someone new, but if you are interested in, you probably should source the object as a collison source...

Edited by theWingedPlatypus

Also, for this kind of effect, you can just render a simulation on top of the clouds instead of simulating the whole cloud depending on how close you are.

I would do it in the shader though, by using a velocity field to displace the density.  Then you never have to press simulate which can save a ton of time

• 4 months later...

murathan747 thank you for your example, it helped me a lot.

However I was wondering whether there is another way to import cloud volume into DOP - without using Smoke solver.

I would like to achieve an effect in which part of cloud is blown away :). When I add for example Fan force, then source volume stays intact and it causes emitting smoke from cloud (source) in direction of Fan force.