Learning VOPSOP

Well back to fun,my attempt to day 9,i left the scene just in case someone need to see it,i dont know how to blur an attribute in Vops.

The Occ exercise its out of my league,im trying to understand it yet.

Someone could post the scene? i see some samples with vex inline, but could be cool to see it implemented in pure vops just to learn more.

6bL8CG9.jpg?1

Day9.hipnc

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Mind if I hop on that this train?

This is the first assignment. Not that elegant, but it works. Funny thing is, when I try these things, I get the feeling I'm not in the Houdini mindset. Everyone here is also good at maths and programming, or so it seems. I'm not, and I keep getting the feeling I'm doing it "wrong", if that's even possible.

So, how did I do? :)

jbxs18F.jpg

Random_Point_PointVOP.hipnc

Edited by IIBit

@IIBit

What your setup is missing right now is the ability to return vectors between -0.5 to 0.5 instead of 0 to 1.

You can use fit01 ro remap them.

Oh, and make sure that each individual rand has its own seed.

Edited by rayman
  • Like 1

Funny thing is, when I try these things, I get the feeling I'm not in the Houdini mindset. Everyone here is also good at maths and programming, or so it seems. I'm not, and I keep getting the feeling I'm doing it "wrong", if that's even possible.

All skills have to be learned - no one can talk, walk or do maths without training. Just remember how long school is/was. A fundamental element is to have a method to iterate over the mistakes and learn new things.

Mind if I hop on that this train?

This is the first assignment. Not that elegant, but it works. Funny thing is, when I try these things, I get the feeling I'm not in the Houdini mindset. Everyone here is also good at maths and programming, or so it seems. I'm not, and I keep getting the feeling I'm doing it "wrong", if that's even possible.

Almost exactly the words of one of my best students I've ever had. Even worse, he was told by his former teachers he would never be good at maths. Right now he has one of the most amazing jobs you can dream of in the games industry and he solves very complex mathematical problems. Persevere, be patient coming up with ideas, it is just a matter of training your way of thinking.

• Like 3

Almost exactly the words of one of my best students I've ever had. Even worse, he was told by his former teachers he would never be good at maths. Right now he has one of the most amazing jobs you can dream of in the games industry and he solves very complex mathematical problems. Persevere, be patient coming up with ideas, it is just a matter of training your way of thinking.

Hello Mr. Goossens,

I see you live in Antwerp. Mind if I drop in? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I just try to give this thread a new challenge.
Project the input Mesh on a Plane facing to the camera

out.gif

@andrulis thanks for the file , i will look at it.
 because for the cone sampling i was to lazy last time.

When I started my college, I basically could have chosen to do the programmer track of this study, but I felt my math's weren't good enough for that, so I went with an artist track, now I am a technical artist, using Houdini almost full time, its basically the best job I could have wished for :) (Kim is probably referring to another individual though), also Happy birthday still, Kim

Basically you do not have to be good in complex maths, as long you have a basic understanding of the (logical) framework of maths, you should be good to try vops, VEX, or any shader language.

If you have to choose any subject within maths to study, I would go with goniometry, that's what I use most, and simple chance multiplications.

• Like 2

To more easily grasp mathematical concepts, it's good to use that important part of the brain, the visual cortex! This link floating around is handy:

'21 GIFs That Explain Mathematical Concepts'

http://www.iflscience.com/brain/math-gifs-will-help-you-understand-these-concepts-better-your-teacher-ever-did

EDIT: visualising mathematics is *key* with some of the world's great thinkers!

"The Mathematician's Mind: The Psychology of Invention in the Mathematical Field

By Jacques Hadamard"

'Einstein wrote that words seemed to play no role in his mechanism of thought, which instead relied on "certain signs and more or less clear images"'

http://books.google.co.nz/books/p/princeton?id=iikWvQgOC5AC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ViewAPI&hl=en&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

Edited by tar

When I started my college, I basically could have chosen to do the programmer track of this study, but I felt my math's weren't good enough for that, so I went with an artist track, now I am a technical artist, using Houdini almost full time, its basically the best job I could have wished for :) (Kim is probably referring to another individual though), also Happy birthday still, Kim

Basically you do not have to be good in complex maths, as long you have a basic understanding of the (logical) framework of maths, you should be good to try vops, VEX, or any shader language.

If you have to choose any subject within maths to study, I would go with goniometry, that's what I use most, and simple chance multiplications.

I chose the artists path as well. I graduated with only 2 hours of math a week. Well, never too late to learn, so I might as well get started.

Edited by IIBit

What a wonderful thread! I did my fair share of exersices, feeling rather good at fast solving... before all the tasks revolving around intersect VOP started :P Great stuff to learn from, as it seems rendering hasn't been my first priority! ;)

Still, I would greatly appreciate it, if the people with stronger knowledge about matrices and quaternions get more involved (basically what Mr. Claes suggested).

As a personal contribution, I could define the following task:  Make a transformation matrice, which transfers an animatied object back to world origin (0,0,0). Extra points if rotation has been included and solved correctly!

p.s. My solution uses the aim and up as orientation vectors, which I'm building in different attrib VOPs, but I would be very glad to see this same task solved also with quaternions.

abs005.jpg

Edited by xukca