Scatter Node behaves not like in Tutorial

jon3de

Hi,

I bought the 3D galaxy Tutorial on cmivfx. Unfortunately I need some help already at the beginning.

A circle is used to scatter some points on. When the the circle type is changed to "Polygon" the points change the distribution in the tutorial like in the screen.

scatterProb.JPG

I tried to set this up but in my setup the points are always evenly distributed on the surface. I found some notes on the internet that the scatter sop was rewritten. I do not know if thats the reason or if I missed some settings.

svatterprob2.JPG

I would be grateful for some help here. Maybe anybody has a tip for me how I can achieve that effect in houdini 14 if its no more possible to do it the way I did it. 

kind regards 

Jon

post-12840-0-63118700-1439734755_thumb.j

post-12840-0-78862100-1439735223_thumb.j

Edited by jon3de

yep - new scatter is better but most of the tutorials and example files you might find will be using the old one...

please don't use the old one (bad Edward!), use the new one and just play around - you CAN get the same results with the new one.

At the end I used a little changed version of mestelas idea. Just for learning purposes.

I used the fit expression to fit the distance to another range.

densityFinal.JPG

The version with texture map worked great also.Thanks. But I get a watermark in my render and I didn´t wanted to have some Houdini star formation in my galaxy ;)

kind regards

Jon

post-12840-0-91264700-1439930992_thumb.j

• 4 years later...