Atom's Video Tutorials

Atom

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have created a new tutorial on the topic of cloth. How to use Houdini like Marvelous Designer (kind of). This is my longest tutorial yet, almost an hour, but there are some repetitive processes in the middle (12:30-23:30) where I am creating groups for all the pattern edges that you can skip and not really miss any of the lesson. I am attaching a ZIP file with the garment patterns I use in the video as well as the finished HIP file if you just want to check out the completed scene.

ap_cloth_tutorial.zip

Edited by Atom
  • Like 8

some more suggestions from the folk over here at SideFX :)

turn on "Create Ordered" on the Group SOP, instead of having to re-copy the point numbers for every group.

'Attach To Body' shelf tool to attach the top of the skirt to the body.

Quads is the easiest way in Houdini. You can use a triangle mesh as well, but then I recommend providing uv's (materialuv attribute) for the best quality.

If you use triangles without uv's, you're not telling the solver what the weft and warped directions of the cloth are.

keep up the great work :)

• Like 1

Thanks for those tips!

I just tested Create Ordered groups and that solves all the cross-stitching problems I was having, now I can use group names directly in the Stitch Constraint node. I even filed a possible bug report with SESI. They told me the field was not designed to accept groups, only points.

Hmm...

> Side Effects Support Ticket: #35907
>
> Hello,
>
> The stitch cloth tool does not accept pre-made groups. It expects an
> ordered list of boundary points that defines one end of the stitch seam.
>
> You need to select the points when invoking the tool.
>
> Cheers,

I have not yet explored the UV side of cloth yet but I noticed the weft and warped terms in the help card and the mention that you don't actually need UVs if you use quads.

Edited by Atom

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Mandrake0 said:

made a quick test and i have a trouble with the high res mesh it doesn't connect like the proxy mesh. i miss something :blink:

whats the best solution? 

cloth_example.hipnc

Your file is working fine here in H15.5.504. What is the issue you are seeing?

sorry marty it's my fault, 

my explanation isn't that precised.

the constrain of the low res simulation isn't the same as on the high res mesh. i want that the same connection of the low res mesh is transfered on to the high res mesh so i get one uniform mesh. at the moment they are not connected together.  

whats the best way to solve this? 

i know a way with some vex code to connect the cloth sides together but i don't think that's the best way for do this.

EDIT: 

add my simple workaround. (same filename)

lowres_mesh.PNG

highres_mesh_sim.PNG

cloth_example.hipnc

Edited by Mandrake0

So you'll need to set the edge values as in this post:

Edit: I think this is a really good Rfe! It would be cool to send into SideFx.

Edited by tar

Hi Atom, Thumbs up!

just sow the first tutorial. And it's awesome! I think it's almost like a benchmark for the others: everything well prepared, no hesitations, no errors no illogical verbal soup around the information's. 

If payed tutorials would looks like this I will probably watch them all. Just jumped recently to Houdini (1 month) from Maya (12 years) and it's really pain to found a tutorial with some decent pace.

So just want to thank you for your effort - I know it's not easy to have everything sorted out and speak to audience.

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement. I'm glad others find the tutorials useful. I'm still learning Houdini, myself.

I have put together another short tutorial on how to attach a mesh based head to a mesh based body with similar topology.

The development thread and original question which lead to this video as well as the OBJ file for the body (inside the posted HIP files) can be found here:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have put together a short video that demonstrates how to setup a FBX subnet for use with the built-in Pose Library system.

Thanks to Michael for explaining how to promote internal subnet controls up to the top level to make them compatible with the Pose Library.

I am attaching the python script so you don't have to type in the code that is displayed in the video. Also, this ZIP file contains the Make Human Motion Builder rig that the python script bone names reference. You can drop the data/rig folder in your Make Human install folder to make these new rigs available for export from Make Human. I have also included the Unity and Unreal rigs as well.

pose_library_prepare_script.zip

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...