Sharp edges around fire flame

Arthur Ivanov

hello guys!

I have some issue..

I want make flames from fire a bit sharped than in attached picture.

I make experiments but can't achieve my goal.

I decrease div size about 0.04

set sharpening to 2 

I was try to use different render engines,

increase sampling and etc.

but this not help me to solve.

How I can make more sharped result around edges, on sim level or on shading level?

Tnx forward guys!

post-14497-0-20800200-1459014505_thumb.p

Edited by Art-Unique

Then please post a link of the thread, so that this thread is a help for somebody else, too.

Cheers

Yeah, sorry about that, tnx for remind me

http://forums.odforce.net/topic/21207-close-up-shot-fire-details/?hl=sharp here is the same topic

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=30370 here awesome mate Joker make a post with attached hip file where explain how to achieve great sharp look for fire :)

hope it help someone else ))

And an additional tip is to render at 150% size and sharpen + downres in comp to get that extra crispyness - though this of course applies to all and any renders at any time. :D

Btw, great tip but how to do this if you need add some pyro and smoke in abc file with shot cam? :)

Not sure what you mean here, the camera FOV and resolution is not really dependent on each other, so if you think of matching tracked footage or renders from another DCC, as long as the lens/FOV matches, mixing resolutions in comp shouldn't be an issue.

Or maybe I'm completely misunderstanding you?

Edited by Farmfield

Not sure what you mean here, the camera FOV and resolution is not really dependent on each other, so if you think of matching tracked footage or renders from another DCC, as long as the lens/FOV matches, mixing resolutions in comp shouldn't be an issue.

Or maybe I'm completely misunderstanding you?

I mean how possible change render resolution if for work you take alembic file with particular resolution and cams, for example if I have scene in full hd, increase render res of fire on 150% I think not useful for achieve this result ,

Hope for now I write more clean for understand :)

Well, first off you should always render (and comp) at 150% of your output, imo (perhaps except if you're working in 4k), just as doing that sharpen/downres trick at the end of your comp will give you a way better final result - and as I said, render resolution and camera lens/FOV settings are independent, so you are not bound to a specific resolution for a camera, alembic or otherwise. :)

Edited by Farmfield

Well, first off you should always render (and comp) at 150% of your output, imo (perhaps except if you're working in 4k), just as doing that sharpen/downres trick at the end of your comp will give you a way better final result - and as I said, render resolution and camera lens/FOV settings are independent, so you are not bound to a specific resolution for a camera, alembic or otherwise. :)

Tnx man, very helpful trick, i need to try to do this! Btw, I was added you on vimeo, you make great stuff! :)

Tnx, and no problems. I'm basically a compositor who decided to get into making my own FX assets, and with that I think I look at things a bit differently than most - like I'm not against faking (or enhancing) things in comp, if I know I can get away with it, saving that time makes it possible to spend more time on the tweaking - and it's the tweaking that makes this stuff like it's best, so it's just how I look at things. :)

Tnx, and no problems. I'm basically a compositor who decided to get into making my own FX assets, and with that I think I look at things a bit differently than most - like I'm not against faking (or enhancing) things in comp, if I know I can get away with it, saving that time makes it possible to spend more time on the tweaking - and it's the tweaking that makes this stuff like it's best, so it's just how I look at things. :)

About compositing)) I have little RnD about large scale smoke sim, for more realistic presentation I want put this sim in to still pic, I try track this pic in nuke for export cam , but nothing, also I try use this pic as plain pic in Houdini but have some issues with set up scale correct for lighting and shading, maybe you can give me some useful tips how to do this correct :)

Not sure how you mean here. Track it in Nuke? Do you mean track a plate in Nuke, add a plate to a position then using the explosion as a texture?

In Nuke you just track the plate, then use the point cloud to place your card and apply the render as a texture to that card.

As for scale, well, Houdini is unit based, so one unit = 1 meter, you do everything to correct scale to get it looking right.

Lighting, well, that is always tricky. Get it as good as you can in Houdini, then you can render out the normals and a position pass for additional 2.5D relighting in Nuke. Another trick is to mesh your explosion in Houdini and export it as a sequence and use that for relighting in Nuke, but it all depends on what type (and quality) relighting you want to do, of course - getting it correct in 3D is preferable to messing with it in Nuke.

Oh, and not sure if it's supported yet, but Vray renders VDB now so you might be able to render the volumes inside Nuke - sadly I don't have access to Vray for Nuke myself. :(

Not sure how you mean here. Track it in Nuke? Do you mean track a plate in Nuke, add a plate to a position then using the explosion as a texture?

In Nuke you just track the plate, then use the point cloud to place your card and apply the render as a texture to that card.

As for scale, well, Houdini is unit based, so one unit = 1 meter, you do everything to correct scale to get it looking right.

Lighting, well, that is always tricky. Get it as good as you can in Houdini, then you can render out the normals and a position pass for additional 2.5D relighting in Nuke. Another trick is to mesh your explosion in Houdini and export it as a sequence and use that for relighting in Nuke, but it all depends on what type (and quality) relighting you want to do, of course - getting it correct in 3D is preferable to messing with it in Nuke.

Oh, and not sure if it's supported yet, but Vray renders VDB now so you might be able to render the volumes inside Nuke - sadly I don't have access to Vray for Nuke myself. :(

Sorry, can't take answer earlier,

So, I'll try explain more clearly

1. I have still image for import my smoke sim and match.

2. I was try made track this image for setup z depth and export cam as fbx. As I understand NUKE doesn't track images, only footages.

3. Then I put this image as bg plane in Houdini and try setup there.

4. But I can't setup depth correct, I don't know from where I need to start do this...

So and this is my question, how I can setup still image for import there any 3D obj correct ?