OSX vs Windows 10- are Houdini versions 100% equal?

art3mis

If Houdini Indie is tied to just one machine, I want to make sure I get the 'best' version either for my iMac desktop or Windows based i7 quadcore NVIDIA 960M laptop.

Are Windows and OSX versions of Houdini at 100% parity? What about stability as well as performance?

Houdini is at parity but the OS's are not. 

OsX doesn't provide as good performance for OpenGL or features, limited to GL4.1 & OpenCL CPU cannot work. There is also a specific bug currently on OsX where the keyboard shortcuts start failing to work once you go full pane ID=75708

Windows's memory manager is still not meant to be as good as OsX for simulations.

Edited by tar

I have a mid-2010 macbook pro - and this weekend I'm uninstalling all versions of Houdini - it just just doesn't have the hardware to run usefully anymore. I have a PC with Win10 (and Mint when I get around to installing it) and Houdini runs fine.

I'd install Houdini on your Win and try it out on the iMac - it might run just fine depending on how old it is.

On windows 10 houdini is running smoothly , can't talk for OSX. But i find that windows doesn't handle very well Ram saturation / and swapping.

When you process very ram expensive sims windows will generally loose his mind and give you a Nvidia Driver connection is lost.

On linux centos i didn't encounter this , so i would say that centOS would be my choice number one for stability, but if you need Photoshop / After effects etc ... windows 64GB ram will do fine.

On 6/19/2016 at 0:41 AM, edward said:

I'd point out that Houdini is probably most tested on Linux since that's what most SideFX developers and paying customers use.

a weird side effect of this is that for fixing I hope the bugs I encounter on OsX manifest themselves on Linux too.

On 6/21/2016 at 1:54 AM, sebkaine said:

When you process very ram expensive sims windows will generally loose his mind and give you a Nvidia Driver connection is lost.

On linux centos i didn't encounter this , so i would say that centOS would be my choice number one for stability, but if you need Photoshop / After effects etc ... windows 64GB ram will do fine.

If you're just learning like I am it's tremendously easy to make Houdini throw up with insufficient RAM. Before I had only 16gb to work with before upgrading to 58gb. It has made a HUGE difference, but still every so often I manage to get the video drivers to time out, even after increasing the TDR.

This is certainly me doing stupid stuff, but it's just so easy to get houdini to do something stupid if you don't know what you're doing.