Indie 15.5.528 and 3rd party renderers

Redshift for Houdini does work with Indie but it is tightly bound to the version number. I am not sure why, probably SDK related.

I just installed Redshift last week and it did not show up. But after poking around on their forum I discovered you have to upgrade Houdini to match the plug-in version. The current version I am using is H15.5.523. So unless Redshift has already updated their download to work with H15.5.528 you will have to use that version of Houdini.

There is also a post install task that is not too obvious but I have a thread on installing Redshift to work with Houdini here. Mainly you have to edit your houdin.env file with Redshift path information.

Edited by Atom

Thanks! Yes saw the Rohan Dalvi video. Still trying to assemble a master list of Octane vs Redshift pros and cons. For me speed, ease of use and quality in rendering fluid sims are a high priority. Would be really great to get feedback from anyone who has used both...

When the Redshift plugin installs, it installs several HDK versions of the Redshift plugin.  The Redshift plugin for Houdini is bound to the targeted HDK version, not the Houdini release version.

For example, 14.0.474, 15.0.459 and 15.5.523 are the HDK versions of the current Redshift plugin.

So, depending on if you're running H14, H15, H15.5 would determine which Redshift plugin version you'd use [as specified in your houdini.env file]. This allows you to use Redshift with Daily Builds of Houdini.

For example, I'm currently running Houdini version 15.5.563, so my houdini.env points to the 15.5.523 HDK version of the Redshift plugin.