Paint Cracking Method

PixelNinja

7 hours ago, cudarsjanis said:

Thank you, this is what I was looking for.

I enjoy tutorials like this way more than video ones.

Thanx!! :)

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it.

I tend to agree, the pace of videos sometimes is quite slow, and it can be difficult to jump around and refer back to things.

20 hours ago, cudarsjanis said:

Thank you, this is what I was looking for.

I enjoy tutorials like this way more than video ones.

Thanx!! :)

Completely agree. That's why I love Matt Estelas cgwiki so much. Loads of valuable info that's really fast to reference, plus everyone loves a good gif. 

Great tutorial Pixel :)  

After spending a couple hours on trying to interpret this tutorial I still can not complete it. Parts of it do not make sense to me. If I disable init_borders then the group no longer exists and solver has nothing to operate/transfer upon.

Can someone take a look at my work-in-progress and tell me where I went wrong in trying to re-create this scene?

ap_paint_flakes_tut.hiplc

Edited by Atom

8 hours ago, Atom said:

After spending a couple hours on trying to interpret this tutorial I still can not complete it. Parts of it do not make sense to me. If I disable init_borders then the group no longer exists and solver has nothing to operate/transfer upon.

Can someone take a look at my work-in-progress and tell me where I went wrong in trying to re-create this scene?

ap_paint_flakes_tut.hiplc

Looks like there were just a couple of little issues.

The main one: In the solver accidentally connected input1 into the attribute transfer (the sphere is coming in from input2).

Also, try setting your grid rows and columns to 2, that way the voronoi pieces are blank ngons, and the remesh can do its thing without distorting the mesh.

Lastly (slightly less important), set the border group to points. It does work as a primitive group, but then the cracks can't be as fine.

Let me know how you go :) 

With regards to @active not existing when you disable initBorders; when the attribute transfer does it's thing it will automatically create it on the mesh (if it doesn't exist) and initialise its value to the default (0).

ap_paint_flakes_tut_edit.hiplc

Oh, one other thing. If you keep having issues after that (mesh not displaying correctly, colour node not working), make a new scene view. I had to do that a couple of times with your file for some reason. Some things just seem to lock it up.

Edited by PixelNinja
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, adrianr said:

Completely agree. That's why I love Matt Estelas cgwiki so much. Loads of valuable info that's really fast to reference, plus everyone loves a good gif. 

Great tutorial Pixel :)  

Yeah I'm sure you can tell that was the influence here. All of the gifs!

• 1 year later...

Hello.

This is a great tutorial, I am just starting with Houdini.

I am working on houdini 16, and the simulation is extremely slow (i waited 30 minutes for the first collision frame, and stopped the simulation).

Is it supposed to be this way?

Thank you in advance.

EDIT:

I found a solution.

1. Instead of Finite Element Solver, use Cloth Solver. (Optional)
2. In the collision tab of the cloth object, uncheck "Collide within object".

Edited by dichbg
Found Solution.

Hi,

I'm glad you found something that worked.

Yeah I can't remember if I was using self collisions or not. In general though I have found the cloth solver in houdini to be incredibly slow.

I still find myself jumping to ncloth in Maya most of the time. There's so much less control but at least I can get a decent sim out quickly.