System keeps crashing on FLIP sims

squardis

Hi,

I have alot of crashes when I use flip.
I got 24GB of RAM, 2.9Ghz, i7, 8CPU's, Nvidea Quadro K2100M, (win10) After I try to do any rop outputs in background and even close everything that has big processes of memory (even houdini itself) its freezing after a while.
The RAM is never above 9GB. The processes are mostly around 98%. But even if I lower my afinity in processes Houdini can use (like 60%), my whole Notebook is froozen and have to do a reboot.
In flip solver I tried using openCL, Pre conditioner Off/On,
It only seems to work with the normal render button instead of "Render in background".

Anyone who have some experience with this and knows how to fix it?
THNX ALOT

Edited by squardis

7 minutes ago, Atom said:

With 24GB of RAM you could have mis-matched timing in your RAM chips. Have you inspected their speed using CPU-Z? Also are you monitoring heat?

Nope not inspected it with cpu-z. Is this the correct one: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
Also maybe it can be the heat... but when I searched for that, I only could find some post that you only can look at it in BIOS mode right?

I guess that was going to be my next question, what kind of crash is happening?

Is it a blue screen?

Does Houdini crash or the OS?

You mention a freeze, have you opened up the System Monitor to see if your CPUs are pegged at 100%? Maybe Houdini is just working very hard...

Does the mouse still move when the system is 'frozen'?

Edited by Atom
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Atom said:

I guess that was going to be my next question, what kind of crash is happening?

Is it a blue screen?

Does Houdini crash or the OS?

You mention a freeze, have you opened up the System Monitor to see if your CPUs are pegged at 100%? Maybe Houdini is just working very hard...

My hole system is crashing, I cant even move my mouse. ( I have to restart after that mostly 3 or 4 times) so Maybe it has something to do with heat.... funny hehe Im working with water now...not fuel, heat or temperature ;)  But it seems you need FLIP to let them work probably to have a proper heat haha

THNX for the fast feedback bytheway,
Im working on some simple water explosion...:

untitled.1.jpg

Edited by squardis

I think you may have found you're culprit, that is really hot. (Check the rating for your CPU chip but a typical high temperature should not be over 80 celsius)

Do you hear a fan trying to cool your laptop?

I burnt out a laptop rendering with Lux once. Solid relentless calculations can be too much for laptops because they were not really designed to run at full load all the time.

If you can find any way to force the internal fan on 100% give that a try. It may be a setting in side of the bios for the motherboard. There is a program called "speedfan" which is free but it is very difficult to setup IMHO. It does work, once you get it up and running. Then you can set the the fan percentage based upon the CPU heat value.

There is also a free GPU fan controller, called After Burner, put out by MSI motherboards. It is a GPU overclocking tool but I just use it to create a custom temp/fan speed ramp for my system and have it start on boot. Then if the GPU temp goes up I can hear the fan kick on.  Getting any kind of airflow through your system should help bring down those temperatures a bit.

Edited by Atom

Ditto Afterburner when using OpenCL and especially for any GPU specific rendering.

Amazing this is free.

Without a custom fan curve my slightly over clocked GPU constantly hits a ceiling temp of 90 C and throttles down.

But with a fan curve(remember to enable auto) I never go above 55Celsius.