Ryzen 7

Juzwa

Has any1 asked for ryzen stress tests so far? has there been any news how its doing with H? 

because if not there are actually so many ppl that can do that and Im writing a massage to one of them

Just enlight me pls

Edited by Juzwa

im talking about this with two guys right now. And it all depends on devs actually. Because U cant do a test without comparison. I will push chaosgroup to join the test for sure, because we have some really good contact with them. Im not so sure about sitni sati (fumefx), they are always so late about any emails. And ofcourse AD with maya would have to join with bifrost. 

To my knowledge, we don't have a Ryzen system to test with yet at SideFX. And while you can buy a Ryzen CPU, finding a motherboard to plug it into is difficult - Ryzen motherboards are apparently sold out of most online stores :(

Ryzen is fairly competitive compute-wise, but the one thing that might hold it back compared to a 6-8 core Intel CPU is memory bandwidth. Ryzen has a dual-channel memory interface (42-44GB/s) vs. Intel's quad-channel interfaces (68-74GB/s). You might see a hit in large sims that consume a lot of memory. That'd be one of the first tests I'd try.

On Cinebench R15 the 1700X is on par with a 6900K ($399 and $1089). The memory bandwidth might be an issue but I see the number of memory slots a bigger issue (4 versus 8). It's as if you could get a cheap 8 core processor for the 1151 socket platform in terms of what it's offering. For students and hobbyist this is awesome. For professionals I don't see it as that alluring. I'm hoping their Opteron refresh based on Zen will bring some competition back to the server and workstation market.

2 hours ago, Mandrake0 said:

so SESI i think you need to have a public benchmark setup. to solve this question before the product releases :-)

most techsites have used cinebench maybe you can find some analogies..

We do have a lot of scenes from the demo material produced for the releases which could double as benchmarks, though they'd take some finessing and cleanup. From what I've seen, it would also be rather large in terms of a download. Some of the fluid sims and hair/volume renders would be good candidates.

Also, we're not really in the business of promoting hardware :)

the only reason is every week there is some question about computer configuration it could help a bit when there is a benchmark list.

it could be cool if you see in the blogs and magazines some houdini benchmark. 

16 hours ago, malexander said:

Also, we're not really in the business of promoting hardware :)

it makes more sense when AMD or INTEL uses houdini to show there power in simulation to all the press and sent's you some systems for stress testing. ;)