Create multiple FEM over time?

ParticleSkull

Interesting problem. You can use a SOP solver with a multisolver node to process the mesh point attributes, you just don't want to affect the P attribute directly. Attached is a solution to your intersect problem using a VDB in a sop solver to dynamically set the targetP attribute. It changes the look of your sim a little, so it still needs tweaking.

For more info on "solid object" point attributes, see here: http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/nodes/dop/solidconfigureobject

Note that this works well enough that you can almost get by with a single substep. Also it almost completely takes place of the internal collision calculated by the finite element solver, try turning off self collision in the attached example to see what I mean.

flask.v1.Odforce.FF.VDB.hiplc

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2017 at 1:54 AM, ParticleSkull said:

Guys, is there a way to get the older spheres out of the simulation, make it rigid?
Let's say, by age. If the sphere is 24 frames old it becames a static/rigid object?

So, whatever happened to this idea? I'm also curious if it would help to stabilize / speed up simulation.

this is a cool effect - i was trying to get the copy sop to create random rotation on each spawned object but had no luck.  I was using copy stamp but couldn't suss it out - each spawned character just appears in the same rotation sadly :/

27 minutes ago, Farmfield said:

With a copy stamp, random vector per point (per frame) would solve it. :D

all i really know is something like rand($PT)*360 or something noob and incorrect like that - no idea how to set it up for a vector :/

see now my first thought went to attribute randomise but all i ever hear is ppl twiddling wrangles and writing code now so my mindset seemed to gravitate that way and i was trying to do that ffs!  So where would i plug this in on the copy sop?  I'm guessing its before the copy sop on the input template points i reckon..

@ParticleSkull yep i'll hopefully be having a go at doing something else hehe - got a few fun things lined up!

btw i couldn't get the random rotation thing working:
rand($PT)*360 in the copy stamp variable

tried a fit something or other - still nothing

in the end this worked:
rand($PT) * 33.3 * $FF

now my instanced fem things are rotated on creation.  It works sod it!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys, hopefully I'm going to revive this thread :),  I checked @ParticleSkull's scene modified by @KarlRichter, almost all was clear to me but a couple of things on the SOPsolver, the first is; on thee first pointVOP the whole Idea as I understand it is to delete the first sphere so we can check if any of it's points are intersecting the volume, but what are we checking against for all the other spheres? What am I missing there?, my theory is that it does this for each one of the gorups or prims as if they were independent objects, but I'm fairly new to Houdini so I don't know if this is the expected behaviour.

The other thing is, I copyed the VOPS to VEX, and the second VOP works great, but on the first one (the one that deletes the sphere), it does not work, it's as if the theory I gave on the previous paragraph just doesn't happen here.

I'll attach the file, can anyone please tell me what I am missing?

Thank you in advance.

PushAgainst_02.hiplc

• 2 months later...

Hey Marek, damn, it's not working here as well (on 16.5.405)

About the cloth, at the end it got some interpenetrations here :/

@Animatect, sorry bro, i totally missed your post! In fact i didn't really got what karl richter have done, i just knew it was working perfectly ;)
Would like to check the file nowadays, i might understand that better, but, as Ebonit99 said, it looks like it's not working on newer versions of Houdini

• 7 months later...