Is AMD potentially risky? (Threadripper)

kemijo

2 hours ago, Zetha said:

Could it be possible to use the computer while  rendering with a ryzen 1700? 

Being able to use the computer while rendering would be just amazing

you can always tell a software to use n amount of cores, just leave at least one or two free

update, after reading THIS on gamersnexus am reconsidering the TR over the i9 7960
https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3066-intel-i9-7980xe-7960x-thermals-power-review

" the 7960X is functionally equivalent in multithreaded performance to the 1950X, with a less-than 1% performance lead. This sub-1% gain is at the cost of an additional 100W down the EPS12V rails."

and

"Intel does manage to definitively claim the highest performing slots in our benchmarks, but also manages to claim the award for consuming the most power, using the worst stock thermal solution, and requiring more money to be spent on CLCs or high-end coolers. Where the company gains single to low double-digit percentage performance jaunts, it also gains triple-digit power consumption increases. "

My takeaway is that if you don't plan on doing a lot of OC'ing the TR is the better option. If you want THE fastest, and don't care about power consumption and thermals, go Intel.

Surprised by the 100W difference during stock mutlithreaded renders! Another advantage for the AMD route if you pair the TR with the new ASUS Zenith mobo is support for NVME M.2 RAID for insane read write speeds.

Edited by art3mis

7 hours ago, art3mis said:

Surprised by the 100W difference

Why is this so important? 100W is only 1.9c per hour here. 

9 hours ago, Zetha said:

Could it be possible to use the computer while  rendering with a ryzen 1700? 

1700 is excellent value for a 1/3 price of TR it is only 25% slower and amazingly faster for things like hair generation, and, easily does background rendering. 

1 minute ago, art3mis said:

You're making this decision more difficult:) Did you get the 1700x?

Not the X but running the vanilla 1700 at up to 3.65 GHz is amazingly good, almost too good to what I hear of TR.  I bought it as a silly little RnD station to move on from MacOS so I put the least amount of money into it possible not expecting anything good :) 

8 hours ago, art3mis said:

update, after reading THIS on gamersnexus am reconsidering the TR over the i9 7960
https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3066-intel-i9-7980xe-7960x-thermals-power-review

You can buy 2X 1950X with the price of one i9 7960, 7960 is not even the competitor because it costs more than double the prize of a 1950

1 minute ago, tricecold said:

You can buy 2X 1950X with the price of one i9 7960, 7960 is not even the competitor because it costs more than double the prize of a 1950

Not sure why people say that - you need the whole infrastructure of the computer to use the second processor. The CPU is usually only 1/3 the cost of a machine.

4 minutes ago, marty said:

Not sure why people say that - you need the whole infrastructure of the computer to use the second processor. The CPU is usually only 1/3 the cost of a machine.

Not necessarily, u can make a second TR with much cheaper components, can use it for distributed simulations etc or renders. Second box doesn't need a fancy video card or a case monitor or other additional costs.

Also I always find it very strange to do a comparison for a couple that costs 900 to another one that costs 2000. If the performance difference is not %200 better , there is a clear winner for me

5 minutes ago, tricecold said:

Not necessarily, u can make a second TR with much cheaper components, can use it for distributed simulations etc or renders. Second box doesn't need a fancy video card or a case monitor or other additional costs.

That's an interesting exercise - perhaps the TR render render station will be still quite expensive as you don't want slow disks, the loading and writing takes longer than the processing, or less ram. Agree on the graphics card side though unless you are doing GPU rendering.

Also I always find it very strange to do a comparison for a couple that costs 900 to another one that costs 2000. If the performance difference is not %200 better , there is a clear winner for me

the price/performance is definitely an interesting equation. Not sure there is a clear answer on this except that you don't want to be too far behind the best performing processor available for HEDT.

I am not saying TR is the fastest processor because it's not, but for sub 1K range IMHO it is the logical choice. 

As for the second PC part, it doesn't need high speed disks or SSDs since rendering a frame or a big simulation caching will definitely going to take more than a few minutes per frame, a slow disk will suffice.

My point is instead of buying a 7960 and complete the rest of the system and end up spending 3K , I would definitely build two 1950Xs one with cheap components and one as main machine possibly for 3K if not a little more, which in the end I would end up having 64 3+ GHz cores( drooling)

But this becomes a heavy simulation lifter in the end, for rendering I would spend that money only on GPUs so it's always up to the user

A better option for a two machine setup would be a 7980XE for the user machine and a Ryzen 1700 for rendering, 25% more interactive speed vs 25% less rendering machine speed. 

35 minutes ago, art3mis said:

I think this review does a good job summarizing where TR really shines when you get up past the 10-12 thread count.

Never a fan of these summaries as I'm thinking Adobe can't code threads like SESI can ;)

2 hours ago, tricecold said:

I think i7 8700 is a better option than ryzen now, that's what I have been advicing people

for a render machine? that make no sense as the multithread performance is way lower.