Houdini 16.5 - Fluid NarrowBand simulation

CeeGee

I used 2 workstations on this

i7 4790 with 32GB of ram, and 2 x Xeon E5 20core per cpu with 128GB of ram.

Most of sim times are 5-15min per frame, using from 25-120GB of memory,if you think with full tank most of sims are going from 400-900mil particles, but with narrow band its much easier now.

Spaceship sim was 120GB of memory because at the end it was 1.1Bil particles, you have some details on single spaceship playblast, particles and voxel count.

Igor

• Like 1

Setup is very easy, one button :)

Everytihng is same as before with Houdini Flip, this narrow band just save a lot of memory, now you can make deeper tank sims that give you more realistic look, and in past that you are limited with depth because of particle count.

I don't like to compare with Bifrost, because Bifrost is till closed you don't have that control like in Houdini, when they open there node graph stuff then its going to be easier to compare.

• Like 1

Nice work Igor!

Any chance of getting a .hip file of the shark sim? Even without the shark animation in it I am interested to see the values you used on the custom VDB meshing as well as how it was rendered.

Are you using a shader on the water surface that splits between volume and mesh rendering of the water surface by a mask? If so are you using vorticity or velocity as mask values?

I like how you tried to do it all as a primary mesh without secondaries. It has a tidy look to it.

I saw your previous whale sim with the custom meshing and displacement speed ups using the FLIP surface attribute. Similar setup this time too?

Cheers,

Ed

2 hours ago, edwardtwiss said:

Nice work Igor!

Any chance of getting a .hip file of the shark sim? Even without the shark animation in it I am interested to see the values you used on the custom VDB meshing as well as how it was rendered.

Are you using a shader on the water surface that splits between volume and mesh rendering of the water surface by a mask? If so are you using vorticity or velocity as mask values?

I like how you tried to do it all as a primary mesh without secondaries. It has a tidy look to it.

I saw your previous whale sim with the custom meshing and displacement speed ups using the FLIP surface attribute. Similar setup this time too?

Cheers,

Ed

I need to chk for scene because i don't have permission to share it, but let me try to explain.

Mesh part

I just split particles using speed and vorticity, and low speed/vort areas i used vdb from particle fluid with some smooth mask, same as default particle fluid mesh do

and on high speed/vort values i add high res settings on vdb from particles fluid and then just combined 2 vdb volumes and convert to poly, thats all

Rendering part

- its just fluid mesh with displacment on top, using speed and vorticity to add bit of color, and there is simple bubbles and foam sim render as points under surface.

- no this is not like whale sim, on whale i did convert surface filed to mesh and then add displacment, but because i wanted to get all details from sim, i did fluid mesh on this one.

• Like 2

Thanks Igor! This is very helpful.

Hopefully SideFX will do a masterclass on the new FLIP features like they did for hair and fur as they released the .hip files and supporting data for that. If you can release any .hip files it would be really appreciated.

Cheers,

Ed

• 1 month later...

Hi Igor,

Great work as always!  I have a question about the speed improvements when using narrow band tanks.  I'm testing them for the first time on a 36M particle tank (with narrow band turned off) and I'm not seeing a dramatic speed improvement when switching to narrow band (maybe 12-14 percent).  Nothing like the 3x speedup claimed in the promotional video.  This is odd, considering that the narrow band tank is only using about 3M particles compared to the 36M from the full tank.  My test was created using the shelf tools (flip tank, add collider).

Do you only start to see dramatic gains when your particle count is much higher?  I have a fairly deep tank with a sphere splashing around, nothing fancy.  Is there anything else one needs to do to enhance the performance of narrow band vs. the full tank?

thanks!

James

2 hours ago, asdel said:

Hi Igor,

Great work as always!  I have a question about the speed improvements when using narrow band tanks.  I'm testing them for the first time on a 36M particle tank (with narrow band turned off) and I'm not seeing a dramatic speed improvement when switching to narrow band (maybe 12-14 percent).  Nothing like the 3x speedup claimed in the promotional video.  This is odd, considering that the narrow band tank is only using about 3M particles compared to the 36M from the full tank.  My test was created using the shelf tools (flip tank, add collider).

Do you only start to see dramatic gains when your particle count is much higher?  I have a fairly deep tank with a sphere splashing around, nothing fancy.  Is there anything else one needs to do to enhance the performance of narrow band vs. the full tank?

thanks!

James

Its realy depend of your simulation, one thing that you will notice for sure is 3x less memory usage, but speed its diffrnet thing, sometime i have maybe 50% faster, sometime 2x faster, but only if my container is deep like 5-20m depend of shot.

So speed that you are getting i think its more then ok, but be sure to chk memory this is where you will have more save compare to full tank.

• 3 weeks later...