Learning challenge Vex

girtab

Hi all,

I started to learn Vex, But I think it's better for me if I have some exercises.
I mean like on this topic : 

It can be very cool to do this method for vex too, like this everybody can participate and learn.
Of course each day the exercise need to be a little more complex.

Thanks and I hope you will like the idea.

• Like 1

Learning ramps is nice too. The fit function will map a value within a known range into another value, in this case zero to @life. I often map particle @age over @life into the 0-1 range. You can then use this 0-1 as a lookup index into a ramp. This lets you shape a particle radius over time as it ages. Often it is just a couple lines of code.

You don't have to map to @pscale. You could also map to @Alpha and have the ramp affect opacity as well.

Untitled-1.jpg

Edited by Atom

Hmm...you do realize that fit01 expects the first value to be in the range of 0-1. @age does not fit that criteria, neither does @ptnum. However, fit allows you to remap a known range into a 0-1 range. Because 0 and @life are the known range that @age can occupy.

float my_value = fit(@age,0,@life,0,1);

The rand() function is a great companion of fit01 because it always returns a value in the range of 0-1. You may often see something like this. Get a unique random number for each point.

float min = 0;
float max = 1.0;
float my_fit_rnd_value = fit01(rand(@ptnum),min,max);

Edited by Atom

@nage is a built-in bind that automatically returns (@age/@life), or the equivalent of the my_value float Atom posted above.

that said, setting @age = @ptnum is almost certainly not what you actually want to do... overwriting @age is going to get you some pretty weird results in most scenarios.

Thanks for these informations, tomorrow I will try without @age, I have a question, I,m trying to do a rope.

So I did a line, resample, polyframe with tangentu and tangentv

my question is what is the best way to achieve this  ?

Sans titre.png

thank you Kiryha, today I finish the exercice with the normal I will send tomorrow what I wrote on the wrangle.

I do the vop challenge too, for that , after I will try to convert vop node into vex and vex into vop, if you have some exercice in vop to give me, you can :)

the principe of this topic is to practice and practice a lot