RAM cleanup

Is there a way to clear RAM from houdini caches?

Basically I`m using read node to read in flip particles and volumes. then meshing, setting up whitewater source etc.

After a while RAM is just full and cache manager just help a bit there`s always 20-50 Gb  RAM still being used by houdini after that.

running Houdini 16 on Linux.

Cheers

Janis 

Just ignore it. The cache manages itself and when it's out of memory it'll free some up. The cache helps performance so utilizing all of the memory for cache is a smart thing to do. Always having memory free and doing nothing is a waste of memory. It might also be the operating system level cache rather than the Houdini level cache. Same deal there, just let it do it's thing.

It`s hard to just let it do it`s think. If I want preview displaced whitewater. but run out of RAM and then need to restart everything. For example I had 70 Gb of RAM used. now even after clearing cache. ok theres still some left. but closer to end of the day I will have restart Houdini just to avoid running out of RAM.

Cheers

this has been a long time issue. I remember having to restart the program every 30 mins or so when working with dense meshes :D this was back in H14 I think. it's gotten much better over the last few releases (still far from ideal thou). ability to flush cache entirely would be much appreciated here too.

20 hours ago, jamesr said:

You can try going to Windows > Cache Manager and clearing from there

Cache manager helps a bit. Bit cleans up just a bit.

I bet there`s something I can type in Linux terminal that could clear some RAM. just don\t know what exactly.

ye, dropping cache requires sudo privilege, and helps only freeing memory allocated by kernel to amortize disk read, not belonging to Houdini process itself.

Interestingly freeing memory used by Houdini might also be outside Houdini jurisdiction. Jemalloc might keep it even after Houdini deallocates it. It's a trade off for fast multithreaded malloc. 

As a side note, although I haven't looked into it much, it feels like a slowdown of Houdini in case of long sessions has more to do with viewport caches, GPU memory etc, rather them RAM utilization. If you render heavy smoke sequence cached on disk, after couple of minutes of jumping between frames, Houdini becomes slow, but only if you have a viewport open (at least last time I did it, which was a ~year ago). Maybe OpenGL driver doesn't free texture3d?