Student Work - 'short Lived'

JohnnyBGoode

Hi all,

Here is the final project that myself (John Galloway) and Mark Wainwright,('spaceboyzero' on these forums) undertook together to complete our Masters at Bournemouth.

It is available direct to download from this webpage

The project is called Short Lived.

Alternatively u can download it by just clicking here:

Download .mov 21mb

The project was made using Houdini and Shake, compositing CG into live action.

(Saying that, if there had been a few more functions in Cops...ie paint, we would have done the whole thing in Houdini no questions)

We would be grateful for any feedback from anyone.

Sorry its such a huge file to download

Cheers!

J

oh and for this particular project Mark took on 3D side, where as i took on the compositing/camerawork :D

Awseome job guys !!.. I am liking it. Having a procedural fever myslef, did you guys use mostly procedural shader or texture map for the shading ..

cheers.! :ph34r:

22363[/snapback]

Mark here..

Thanks, glad you like it.

the shader was a Vops shader i built to incorporate all the necessary maps(bump maps, colour maps, spec maps, roughness maps, environment maps etc).. all the shading was done with this multi purpose shader.

wow - thanks so much - its great to hear such a positive response!

glad u guys like it - if it wasnt for odforce answering our stupid questions i dont think we could have pulled it off :P

crunch - glad u liked the lighting, the interactive light changing part is supposed to be the light from the TV flickering off his body - i assume that is what u are refering to? - if u look closely u should be able to see it in the reflection, most noteably his shoulders. :)

grasshopper - i assume you are ex-bournemouth? We used Panasonic SDX-900, its the uni's camera.

altbighead - you can download marks shaders, here. Although I think these are early versions and may not still be uploaded?

They are really user friendly, and work on the same principal as the vex-layered, only with bump mapping and non-raytraced env map options as well. Robot was all painted textures.

As for lighting - all data was gathered from set using chrome sphere and white ball. Kind of a fake HDRI thing going on, matching with one key cg light, and using a blurred version of the env maps for fill.

The sparks in his chest were real sparks video'd and comped in.

Cheers - now time to polish reel and look for a job! :o

J

yea.. the lighting really is done beautifully.. you guys should pretty happy about the whole piece..hell, i know i would be..

i have two minor crits:

1. The laser burnt brick wall shot: would been nice to see a closup shot of the "rubble" and embers cut in before the full shot. woulda been cool to see the effects work up close but also would have been an interesting change in perspective..

2. The shot of him going up the tree trunk was the only one that didn't seem comp'd seamlessly..i.e. i could tell it was cg on a plate. so i would just cut it out of the piece. it doesn't add much to the story as a whole and pulls it back technically imho..

but yea, just being super nit-picky there guys cause over all the piece was really really nice looking (prob some of the best student work i've seen in regards to lighting/texturing/comping)..

awesome job B)

yea.. the lighting really is done beautifully.. you guys should pretty happy about the whole piece..hell, i know i would be..

i have two minor crits:

1. The laser burnt brick wall shot: would been nice to see a closup shot of the "rubble" and embers cut in before the full shot. woulda been cool to see the effects work up close but also would have been an interesting change in perspective..

2. The shot of him going up the tree trunk was the only one that didn't seem comp'd seamlessly..i.e. i could tell it was cg on a plate. so i would just cut it out of the piece. it doesn't add much to the story as a whole and pulls it back technically imho..

but yea, just being super nit-picky there guys cause over all the piece was really really nice looking (prob some of the best student work i've seen in regards to lighting/texturing/comping)..

awesome job  B)

22373[/snapback]

Cheers :) its great to hear such positive comments :)

funny those two things you point out are things we both were unsure of / didnt have time to do as we`d like.

as far as the wall shot goes we`d originally wanted to do it `a la panic room` with a fully 3d dolly out, it would have been possible with more time on the project but deadlines loomed!

and as far as the log shot goes, i dont think we were ever really fully satisfied ourselves, was a bugger to comp, right Johnny? and i was never certain of the actual animation of it.

The lighting and comping aspects were the main point of the project.. something we set out to really nail as best we could. and we were pretty pleased with the results.

its testament to a hell of a lot of data gathering on set, light probes and such.. I knocked together some assets that helped us light scenes really quickly, all LDR too. mostly the lighting was 2 or 3 lights.. one point light with a diffuse map (blurred environment map acquired from chrome ball reference) and then a key and often a fill, set up from matte white ball reference.

and yeah.. as Johnny said.. thanks for all the help from OdForce :D

Thanks again!

Sibarrick - What do you reckon are the chances that Sesi would link it !? (We dont do subtle product placement in our films for no reason! :D GET .HIP!)

Just to follow Marks comments, deecue - completley agree with you on both counts. The 'hole in the wall shot' was originally quite epic in concept - render time and tricky footage stalled us with that one.

A funny thing is we actually photographed a real toy robot as reference for every shot, to use for comping/lighting analysis. I remember when we came to looking at the tree trunk shot and just laughing/freaking out cos the real one also looked so incredibly fake! Such a nightmare..something to do with the light angle and lack of shadows falling on that side made it just not work.

but thanks again, we really respect the opinions of everyone here.

it was a hectic few weeks making it - so it is a really great feeling to show some work after asking so many questions.

Cheers!

J