Masters Of Fireplaces...

Visual Cortex Lab

Yeah .. like in topic.. i need your help.

never di a fireplace ... and in my particular case... actually is a "place" which goes on fire ... everything ... its an interior.. where everything starts getting in trouble from a flame... to the hell...

anyone here already worked on such effect and can give me any advices... things to know.. things to avoid.. anything usefull...

many thanks in advance.

ps. everything will also burn .. everything is made by wood... ropes... stuffs like that... if i can archieve a nice result by next two weeks.. we'll have an entire two shots to do ... oh ... and i'm talking about a animated feature film.. so non photorealistic render.. no shooting.. all is 3D. they just have to look nice :)

cheers

in the color POP lookup parameter you just type $LIFE for color.. and 1-$LIFE for alpha... that should do the job.

Rafal Thanks a lot for that link.. pretty interesting.. i wrote the guy for some infos but i guess is now too buzy since it works at BlueSky .. i'll wait for an answer...

btw.. I did my first tests... i'll post you some results... but those are for just "flames"... while for a real Hell it'll be much more challenging and i guess this solution wont gives me much luck .. or at least it'll need load of render time...

cheers..

hey Sum,

it looks quite good but... IMO it's more like 2d, I mean I don't feel 3D... maybe U should try this shader from Techimage?

25345[/snapback]

actually that's a slighty modified version (turbnoise added) of the techimage shader...

but yeah .. i have some problem with opacity ... seems like VOP viewer shows me correct transparency .. Alpha in render is ok.. while opacity isnt... i dont have the transparent flames where I points to camera.. any advice?

Thanks for your advices... here's the same test (metaballs) .. but i have a problem with the VOP shader.

actually in the VOP viewer i can see the transparency (Of) in the inner side of the sphere (or sample mesh) ... while in rendering.. the flames are all opaques... I cant see behind the flames.. could you please turn some light on for me? :)..

cheers.

p.s. in the scene ther's the FIRE GEO node which contains actual fire test.. and a simple torus for testing..

test18_metaballs_xray.zip

you need to premultiply your color by opacity and to get a some luminous look you need to to multiply your transparency before multiplying it with the color .

Ive attached a changed version of your file .

Hope it helps

Sven

test18_metaballs_xray.hipnc

25451[/snapback]

WOW.. thanks a lot ... I'm now tricking your modified version... and its cool how you resetup with subnets.. actually i should start thinking about using 'em much more.. i'm used to make Netboxes.. but this scene was my first attempt and didnt "organized" my networks yet... but thanks for fixing my opacity problem... :)

cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Thats an interesting Fire shader. Is the blue area supposed to be more transparent? I'm getting a blue blob with an orange outline when I render this.

-Andrew

you need to premultiply your color by opacity and to get a some luminous look you need to to multiply your transparency before multiplying it with the color .

Ive attached a changed version of your file .

Hope it helps

Sven

test18_metaballs_xray.hipnc

25451[/snapback]

Hey, Sorry. I was busy at work. Can I help? I'll be checking during the day now.

It seems like you're on the right track, I would suggest pulling the particles together toward the center of the system. If you look at footage of real flames, you will see that this pulling effect actually creates the triangle shape associated with flames.

If your system is located at the world centroid, then adding a force POP with a force_X of -$TX, and a force_Z of -$TZ should do the trick. Divide $TX and $TZ by positive values to decrease the inward pull.

Hope I can help!

Thanks for your replies, I'm now in a sort of "stand by" on this task waiting for licenses to be ordered... team to be formed.. and real R&D to be started now, mine were just tests to tell my boss "yeah we can do it somehow"...

I'm still looking for the best way then to archieve this effects and I guess many ways will help at once including metaballs, sprites and i3D... every help from you will surely find a good reader here, me :) so shoot any others ideas/tricks cause they will be really helpfull.

cheers.

Thanks for your replies, I'm now in a sort of "stand by" on this task waiting for licenses to be ordered... team to be formed.. and real R&D to be started now, mine were just tests to tell my boss "yeah we can do it somehow"...

I'm still looking for the best way then to archieve this effects and I guess many ways will help at once including metaballs, sprites and i3D... every help from you will surely find a good reader here, me :) so shoot any others ideas/tricks cause they will be really helpfull.

cheers.

25807[/snapback]

The quickest way would be using metaballs, a convert meta, a peak sop and an x-ray shader.

You would prolly get a more realistic result if you created some kind of Volumetric shader in VOPS, but it might not be woth the added render times. A little post work with an x-ray shader render can go a long way.

I would stay away from sprites for a realistic fire effect.

let me know what you're doing.

-A

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to say thanks to all you folks out here, I've done some fire that I'm pretty pleased with, and wouldn't have had any clue how to start if I hadn't been pointed to these forums. Unfortunately at the moment, I can't post my work for you to see... but before the end of the summer hopefully that will change.

• 2 weeks later...