White water question

Hey magicians, I'm trying to use a cached flip mesh as source for white water, but when I run the whitewater dop nothing happens, any ideas?

2018-08-02_14-39-28.thumb.png.9580ce18df01ded45589a73640c93862.png

I also tried using my flip particle cache as source but I guess this overlapping issue 

2018-08-02_14-43-03.gif.b981162bf6e5d935855b906ecfbe5863.gif

Any ideas? Thanks!

Whitewater fetches it's data from the COMPRESSED cache, not the SURFACE cache. If you still have the scene available go ahead and kick out a compressed cache and feed that to the whitewater tool. One easy way is to use the whitewater tool on a flip tank then point it to a File node that fetches your compressed cache. Then you can delete the flip tank.

Edited by Atom

@Atom I love you, this seems to be working correctly, little crazy and long duration but thats tweakeable. Did a quick resim with low res

2018-08-02_15-30-47.gif.1fa806d37b30bee59b2b331671aaadfb.gif

Quick question, I have cached both the surface mesh and the dopimport full sim with .bgeo.sc, can I plug that into fluidcompress > compressed cache instead of re-siming? Did that and I get that freezing look again, not sure if is because the particle amount or I cache the wrong way

2018-08-02_15-36-06.gif.876e7d37b7df11bcbbe58a59ba4cfd6c.gif

If you cached the flip simulation immediately after the dop import and before the fluidcompress (so you have particles + volumes) it should work. Looking at the second video looks like you are missing the velocities from flip

Edited by Andrea
error
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 2018-08-02 at 2:36 PM, caskal said:

@Atom I love you, this seems to be working correctly, little crazy and long duration but thats tweakeable. Did a quick resim with low res

2018-08-02_15-30-47.gif.1fa806d37b30bee59b2b331671aaadfb.gif

Quick question, I have cached both the surface mesh and the dopimport full sim with .bgeo.sc, can I plug that into fluidcompress > compressed cache instead of re-siming? Did that and I get that freezing look again, not sure if is because the particle amount or I cache the wrong way

2018-08-02_15-36-06.gif.876e7d37b7df11bcbbe58a59ba4cfd6c.gif

@caskal,@Andrea, Dear Guys, I have the same problem with the 2nd video you posted, it looks like the velocity it is gone after the whitewater sim started, but I checked my whitewater source and flip compress cache note, there are velocity attributes. and I use the compress as the emitting source, but still got this problem, do you guys know or how do you fix this problem? cause this is my first time to try the H17 whitewater. I am so confused. I am going to update the pic or playblast here later today. thank you so much in advance!!