Pyro OpenCL vs CPU - Why do the sims differ?

HM_2020

Can someone please give me an indepth explanation as to why the CPU vs GPU sims look different?

I have noticed when making a fire sim, GPU gives a bit more streaky and jagged sim (better licks) than a CPU sim which tends to be a bit more billowy with more 'shrooms' or rounder shapes in general.

Sadly GPU crashes on any large scale sims yet I really like the look. 

How can I get CPU sims to look as streaky and jagged as GPU?

Any tricks to stop a GPU sim from crashing?

Cheers!

I noticed the exact same problem. Since my sims usually will cause my GPU to run out of memory I make sure to just to look dev without open cl. For me I think its mainly shredding microsolver that drastically changes look based on open cl on/off. I think maybe I notice it a little on disturbance too.

Thats a normal thing. Micorsolvers on openCL calucate things a bit different. I dont think you can expect the sim on CPU and openCL look exactly the same.

But I noticed thats not true for all the solvers. Eg. Grain CPU and openCL looks exactly the same.

Edited by JJ FX

You need to set your openCL device to cpu. What I generally do, is test out quickly on the GPU, and when I submit my sim I set the following;

HOUDINI_OCL_DEVICETYPE=CPU. This will give you the same results. Interesting to note also, that comparing a CPU sim, to a openCL CPU sim can be quite a bit quicker. Have a little search around the docs, to walk you through this.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, tinyhawkus said:

You need to set your openCL device to cpu. What I generally do, is test out quickly on the GPU, and when I submit my sim I set the following;

HOUDINI_OCL_DEVICETYPE=CPU. This will give you the same results. Interesting to note also, that comparing a CPU sim, to a openCL CPU sim can be quite a bit quicker. Have a little search around the docs, to walk you through this.

Amazing, cheers!  I will take a look.

On 9/5/2018 at 5:53 PM, JJ FX said:

Thats a normal thing. Micorsolvers on openCL calucate things a bit different. I dont think you can expect the sim on CPU and openCL look exactly the same.

But I noticed thats not true for all the solvers. Eg. Grain CPU and openCL looks exactly the same.

Cheers, but again I am asking WHY?  What does it compute differently, or what are the main reasons the sims look different?  I would imagine GPU would simply just use the GPU which may sim faster, etc... but why are the maths different, etc...

Edited by HowardM