Building a Pc for VFX and Houdini/Redshift

DonRomano

Hey everyone, I need a new pc for my studies (and maybe work with it as a freelancer) and as I am a 3D student who wants to specialize in VFX and Houdini, and as I use Redshift, I wanted to know if there was "better" components to work with Houdini and RedShift.

The configuration I made is : i7 9700K 3.6 Ghz, 8 cores (4.9 Ghz Turbo), 32 Go of ram (3000 Mhz), MSI Z370 SLI Plus, Gtx 1070, 250 Go SSD for softs, and 2 To SATA. When I'll have more money I think about add a SSD for caching and another 1070 for rendering faster.

What do you think about it ? 

The 9700K is not hyper-threaded so you'll only have 8 core, not enough @ 3.6ghz. You may quickly regret that and want more cores. If you do go with that motherboard make sure you purchase your ram in 16Gb sticks so you have the option to add more later. Don't go for 4x8Gb sticks.

I would say that is a mediocre machine. You could probably build something better for the same price.

On 12/10/2018 at 3:51 PM, Atom said:

The 9700K is not hyper-threaded so you'll only have 8 core, not enough @ 3.6ghz. You may quickly regret that and want more cores. If you do go with that motherboard make sure you purchase your ram in 16Gb sticks so you have the option to add more later. Don't go for 4x8Gb sticks.

I would say that is a mediocre machine. You could probably build something better for the same price.

Yes for sure I take 16 GBb rams because I may upgrade in the future. I'll take a look on threadrippers but I had a bad experience with amd back in the days so I'm a bit cagy. Thx for the precision on the 9700k I didn't knew that.

On 12/10/2018 at 5:17 PM, AaronAb said:

I would skip the gen 9 series. It's clear Intel is out of gas and has no where to go. Get a threadripper instead. If you can afford to get at least 1080's I would do that too. It would be helpful to know what your budget is too.

I have something like 2500 euros to go. I read 1070 were the best money/performance for Redshift, so I prefer get 2 1070 quickly instead of 1080 that are not worth the money (for rendering).

I own two 1070s and they do work ok with Redshift, but a single 1080 is the better deal. If you look at core counts the 1070 has half what the 1080 has. So if the 1080 is only 100 dollars more than a 1070, it makes sense to get just one. This would also leave your second card slot available for future upgrades. You'll run less power with only one card too.

On 14/10/2018 at 8:55 PM, Atom said:

I own two 1070s and they do work ok with Redshift, but a single 1080 is the better deal. If you look at core counts the 1070 has half what the 1080 has. So if the 1080 is only 100 dollars more than a 1070, it makes sense to get just one. This would also leave your second card slot available for future upgrades. You'll run less power with only one card too.

At least I'll go with 1080, you're right it's much better, and a i7 8700 oc with good watercooling can do the work I guess.