Marc

Learning redshift

Hey

For all who have gone through this, how long does it take to get up to speed with redshift? Is it a smooth transition, or are there a bunch of gotchas that need to be learned? 

I've used a bunch of offline renderers, but the GPU world is new to me :).

M

Main difference in my opinion is vastly reduced set of vops  compared to mantra and very rudimentary volume shader. Other than that it is a lot like mantra except it is great deal faster.

It is very prone to crashing if you don't turn off IPR while making changes to geometry while just tweaking shaders is fine.

Regarding the amount of geometry/textures you can throw pretty much anything at it and it will render just fine. I recently finished project with loads of heavy meshes made from nurbs models and around 50 materials from megascans (mostly 8k) I thought I will downscale at some point but never actually had a need to.

Many of the gotchas, I experienced when I first started using Redshift have been ironed out with the continued development of the plug-in. Mainly an object that does not have the ObjParms applied to it can cause some problems. If they are not present, attributes will not be automatically forwarded to the material section. This can happen if you open old files and try to adapt them to Redshift. However, newly created objects do have ObjParms added by default, so just double check that if things seem like they are not working correctly.

Another gotcha that I still run into is not experiencing glow from material emission on surrounding objects. This is because GI is turned off by default. You need to turn on one of the methods (typically Brute Force) to get some kind of emission bounce. But this is often the case with other render systems as well.

Balancing density and temperature values in the volume shader can take some time too. I have adopted the workflow where I don't push density at all in the guides, and this helps get a better 1:1 match from viewport to render. Push your density values at the attribute or scale level, instead of guides.

There is the 16 bounce limit on reflections as well. If you need more than that, you have to leverage the sprite cutout node instead of just relying on the standard material.

Meshlights don't inherit v@Cd from points so you have to bake maps for multi-colored meshlights, but single colored meshlights work fine.

Edited by Atom
  • Like 2