Redshift crash (log attached)

Hey magicians,

I'm having crashes (houdini directly closes without any message) when rendering. This happens in random frames, and in some of the setups. 

I checked the log and seems to be a GPU issue, I have 3 Geforce 980 Ti. I will contact their support, but posting here just in case anybody knows a solution.

2019-02-14_12-57-22.thumb.png.ddb149d0addc3fc6cd9ceea58c8bbdd0.png

Cheers

you might be running out of RAM, also what version of RS are you using? Also, go to the Redshift Menu > PLugins options > Debug and check Verbose so you can see what exactly is going on. One more question what drivers are you using and system Specs?

But yes if you put you post in RS forum Juanjo will help for sure with the log.

• Thanks 1

Hey @Sepu thanks for the tips, I'n with RS 2.6.32 I thikn is the latest. Just checked Debug > Verbose, should I wait for the next crash and check the log again after this option enabled? (I also checked "log to console")

These are my system specs:

Asus x99 ws e
Intel i7 6900k
128 gb ballistix sport lt
3 x GeForce GTX 980 Ti
3 x Samsung 850 evo 500
2 x Western Digital 4TB 
EVGA Supernova 1000w 80 plus gold
Corsair Hydro H115i Water Cooler (280 mm)

One thing is I'm pretty full on disk space, but just bought an external to transfer some stuff, can be that the issue?

On RS I updated to the latest to check if that was the issue, but it didn't solved. Same for the NVIDIA drivers but I had some issues with Octane in C4D so I went back to a prev. version.

2019-02-18_09-34-18.png.2ad92db844b4ae82cbb4676a1759c6c9.png

Not sure if matters but I got licenses for both Houdini and Redshift.

Posting in RS forums to see if I can get some help. 

Just checked your site btw, amazing stuff dude.

Thanks again!

Cheers

Are you monitoring the heat on your GPUs while rendering? They might be getting hot and dropping into thermal protection mode?

3 980ti = 750watts, motherboard can use up to 50. 80 plus power supply means you need to draw 1200 watts to get 1000 watts (roughly). It might be worth monitoring your power supply as well.
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Atom haven't checked that, but they say something similar on RS support, also I have my PC below my desk so it creates a hell, I will put it over and open the cpu gates so it haves better cooling, any soft to recommend to check the heat?

@magic_sop will definetly check that, crossing fingers, thanks!

btw, this was RS support answer (my GPUs aren't overclocked):

After checking the logs, we think that this crash is either a driver or GPU issue. It’s crashing on a kernel that basically never crashes. You are using 980Ti and some of them were overclocked so he might want to ensure they are not. If that’s not the issue, you might want to check about overheating or PSU issues. And try a few different drivers (update if not on the latest or vice-versa - if a recent driver broke things)

Perhaps you could try to render the scene using only one GPU, testing them one by one, to check if there is a GPU with a hardware problem, or somehow your PSU has a problem when all the three GPUs are rendering at the same time. You can configure the GPUs in the plugin options panel, but be aware that you must restart Houdini after changing the GPUs configuration.

Edited by caskal