Building a beast Houdini + Redshift mainly

macj89

Hi guys!
I need some advice from hardware magicians.

Since our studio is expanding a lot, we are looking to build some new powerful machines to renew our old workstations.

Our main software is Houdini, 3dsmax and Modo, and renders are Redshift and Vray.

We also want to use them as a farm, when no one is working on them or for night sims/renders.

But for this one, it will be only for Houdini+Redshift, so im going to write down the list of hardware that i have in mind, and let's see if you can give me any help to have better specs.

We can get up to 5-6k per machine.

MOBO: Asus Z10PE-D16 WS

CPUs:  2x Intel Xeon E5-2630V4  (i really think that is a bit overkill, i think it will be better and cheaper to get an i9 or one of this new AMD ones)

RAM: 2x Crucial DDR4 2666MHz 32GB CL19 DRX4 ECC  ( 64gb total, maybe getting 128, since this one will be the main houdini machine)

SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2 PCIe NVME

SSD: GOODRAM SSD 960GB 2.5" CX300

LIQUID REFRIGERATION: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 120

PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power PRO 11 1200W 80+ Platinum

BOX: In Win 805C ATX

GPU: 4x Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Gaming OC 8GB

Let me know guys! Thanks in advance.

Hey thanks Luke! I never thanked you enough! I build my own houdini workstation for freelancing almost 3 years ago with your Hardware advice and still rocking it! Never had a single problem hehe! Thanks man!

This time is for my studio build, so i asked for a budget  in a local shop, and they gave me this list.
And, because the guy is a bit shady, i was sure he wanted to sell me old hardware to clean up old stuff from the shop, so that's why i come here to you guys, to avoid that since i trust more this community.

I want new hardware so it can last longer since its a big investment, so, what do you think about the list i posted in the first post?
Now i know that i should get another mobo and cpu, thats a big step ! haha
Thanks again man @lukeiamyourfather

23 minutes ago, schwungsau said:

xeon clocked at 2.2 ? your GPU's will wait long time to get data....

That's less relevant these days because of the "turbo" mode modern processors have. I used to work on workstations with the Xeon E5-2630 v4 and they would regularly hit 3.5GHz for single threaded tasks. The listed "turbo" is 3.1GHz but it would go well above that with sufficient cooling. Either way I wouldn't go with those processors because they're old but the base frequency isn't an issue.

Edited by lukeiamyourfather

Thanks Luke!

How about this:

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X 3.5GHz
Asrock Fatal1ty X399 Professional Gaming board

128GB ram
4x GTX 2070
1500w PSU
A huge case
a big Noctua instead of liquid cooling

I don't trust products from ASRock but otherwise I think that's a decent plan. I had a server board from ASRock die three times for the same reason. They replaced it twice under warranty and the third time it was out of warranty (replaced it with a different brand board). That was my first and last board from ASRock.

Edited by lukeiamyourfather
  • Thanks 1

Guys! My new plan update after all the feedback:

TR 2950x

2x2080ti (I'll upgrade later to 4)

Motherboard ???? (I need something capable to plug 4x2080ti with space for the Air flow, can you recommend me something?)

128gb RAM (can you guys recommend something compatible? I read that the TRare capped in max speed)

Any huge box recommendation?

Thanks!!

Hi guys!

After the new Ryzen 9 release, what do you think?

The new 3900x is 12 cores and its like 500$ only! 

Im not a hardware guy, what are the limitations of this guy vs the 2950x?
It is worthy to but it over the 2950x?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Jumping in late, but researching X570 chipset boards right now.

Although most appear to have shifted to a 4-slot DIMM design (as opposed to the traditional 8-slot), many of them support up to 128GB of RAM.

Guess we just have to be a little more careful with our upgrade planning... :)