Houdini Used In Hollow Man 2

edward

Says it all really!

28797[/snapback]

Yeah, this jumped out at me too.

I can very much say the same thing; on the Houdini tasks for My Super Ex-Girfriend, there was not one single line of code written for any of the fx systems. Not a single one.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

Great article and I totally agree with everything those guys said. I loved the line about when it gets to the hard stuff Houdini can do 99% of the work without code and with maya MEL you are basically doing 95% of the hardwork in MEL and I totally agree with him its no fun!!!! lol I love Houdini its probably my favorite total 3D Animation package I just wished more studios used. Particularly in Atlanta. lol Ugh Its really not so funny. lol

Cheers,

Nate Nesler

• 4 weeks later...
Its as fast as renderman to render motion blur.... i assume

yeah, pretty much. kind of like renderman fast as opposed to mental ray slow. It tears through stuff which is actually motion blurring. =) Some other renderers Ive used (cough, been forced to use, cough) are having diffoculty in the motion blur department, and have been a huge pain to get nice blur out of.

We only had to post kludge the few shots where we wanted nice curvilinearly motionblured highlights. We took the render-everything-20-times-and-frameaverage-in-post route for the deforming meshes. (hi stu. :)) But that was pretty fast too. For particles we did it the hard(read math) way.

True curved motion blur would be nice.

Asa

yeah, pretty much. kind of like renderman fast as opposed to mental ray slow. It tears through stuff which is actually motion blurring. =) Some other renderers Ive used (cough, been forced to use, cough) are having diffoculty in the motion blur department, and have been a huge pain to get nice blur out of.

We only had to post kludge the few shots where we wanted nice curvilinearly motionblured highlights. We took the render-everything-20-times-and-frameaverage-in-post route for the deforming meshes. (hi stu. :)) But that was pretty fast too. For particles we did it the hard(read math) way.

True curved motion blur would be nice.

Asa

Wow. Thanks, Asa, I hadn't thought about doing curved motion blur via frame averaging in post. Very interesting. :D In the past when I've encountered this problem, I tend to brute-force this via geometry. It was quite a pain in the rare and expensive at times... I'll have to give that a try when I get a chance to experiment with this approach. :)

-Alex