How to show sim details for Houdini??

Hi

I am in the midst of crossing over from Realflow to Houdini, along other 3D apps. 

Likely to be a very basic question - am trying to show sim details in Render window. Eg. running a flat tank and trying to display sim particles information etc. Anyone kind enough to let me know if there is a hot key or? Thanks

i always have the same exact requirement, but so far I have not found an easy way to do it! anyways, here are some pointers:

-you can use visualize node and find the attribute you want to display --> obviously, you need to find this number, i.e. num particles and use visualize node to display it

-you can use font node to display also information --> you should align font to camera so you can see the text in the camera view! if that is easy for you then do it, but you still need to find the number you want to display

-you can ignore all that, and just look at the geometry spread sheet, sort by point number and see how many particles you (you can say I will look at first frame, mid frame and last frame to give you a rough average)

I would suggest the last idea is the easiest and fastest one :)

• Like 1

On 31/07/2019 at 1:45 AM, bunker said:

Can you give some details about what "sim particles information" you want to display? not sure how many people use Realflow here.

Primarily particles counts and a subset of parameter settings I used for the FLIP sim:

Particles count:  xxx

Particles Separation : xx

etc 

So that I can keep a record of the simulation parameters I used.

On 31/07/2019 at 3:23 PM, cudarsjanis said:

That`s one way to do it. Font node and point expression

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/expressions/point

particleCount.thumb.PNG.40875b98eff19decfc1d866e93b22e47.PNG

particleCount.hip

Thanks, guess this might possibly be one efficient way, though with added computation time per simulation. Would be nice for Houdini to come out a template, similar to Realflow to view parameters but with low overhead count. 

Greatly appreciated!

On 31/07/2019 at 1:10 AM, catchyid said:

i always have the same exact requirement, but so far I have not found an easy way to do it! anyways, here are some pointers:

-you can use visualize node and find the attribute you want to display --> obviously, you need to find this number, i.e. num particles and use visualize node to display it

-you can use font node to display also information --> you should align font to camera so you can see the text in the camera view! if that is easy for you then do it, but you still need to find the number you want to display

-you can ignore all that, and just look at the geometry spread sheet, sort by point number and see how many particles you (you can say I will look at first frame, mid frame and last frame to give you a rough average)

I would suggest the last idea is the easiest and fastest one :)

Thanks, have been using the spreadsheet - nice to have but not easily recordable for simulations that I do to optimise various parameters. Greatly appreciated!

• 1 year later...

Write a python script to collect all the parms of the selected nodes you like to display. Display the formated parameters in the console and copy them into the font node.

p.label() is the name you want to display, p.name() the name of the parameter which you need to connect to the node path, like "/obj/geo/" + "xrows".

• 1 month later...