Houdini UI broken on new Dell XPS 2-in1

teleliq

Hi,

I just installed Houdini on my Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 and i'm getting this (Screenshot). I already tried to delete the Houdini folder in documents and deleted the icon cache files. Viewport navigation works, but the UI itself looks distorted and all the icons are gone. Windows scaling is also not the issue. I tried everything there. Fun thing is, that all the buttons are clickable. So if you know where  the "Edit" menu is, you can click it. I also Any ideas what can cause this? Rolling back to an older Intel Iris Plus driver also doesn't seem to work. Looks like Dell uses modified versions of the driver and doesn't let me install something different. Any help is highly appreciated.

Cheers
Simon

screenshot_houdini_xps.jpg

Edited by teleliq

What is the graphics card? It is possible it is a not supported one.

The second thing I would suggest is what you have already done by deleting your preferences. Another alternative is to reinstall Houdini. If it's the graphics card issue there isn't much hope for you.

Having the same issues on a surface pro 7 - seems to be an issue with either the iris graphics in general or at least the current display driver (I couldn't find a working version though). Did you try some older versions of houdini (with qt4 support) as I've read similar issues were resolved by using qt4 builds of houdini (although this would set you back to 16.5 at best if I remember correctly) 

On 12/1/2019 at 9:12 PM, flo said:

Having the same issues on a surface pro 7 - seems to be an issue with either the iris graphics in general or at least the current display driver (I couldn't find a working version though). Did you try some older versions of houdini (with qt4 support) as I've read similar issues were resolved by using qt4 builds of houdini (although this would set you back to 16.5 at best if I remember correctly) 

Same here ,tried with 16.5 and with qt4 and even 18 they all had the same problem. Contacted sidefx theybtested on an older version of surface and it seems to be working there. hopefully its just a driver issue 

Same problem on Surface Pro 7 here on both 18 and 17.x, no other driver available that fixes the issue: the newest intel drivers 26.x from november (need to manually force the install) didn't work either.

My old Surface Pro 4 is fine.

The Intel Iris Plus chips are not listed in the supported graphic cards at sidefx but they can not be so dissimilar from the other Intel Iris Pro I guess.

On 08/12/2019 at 11:25 AM, keepersdungeon said:

Same here ,tried with 16.5 and with qt4 and even 18 they all had the same problem. Contacted sidefx theybtested on an older version of surface and it seems to be working there. hopefully its just a driver issue 

Did Sidefx ever tested the surface pro 7?

I have contacted Intel and they started to bounce me to Microsoft even if is clearly their driver issue.

On 12/12/2019 at 11:22 PM, keepersdungeon said:

No the final reply I got from sidefx is that it's the driver so need to contact the manufacturer, still waiting for a rely from Microsoft 

On 19/12/2019 at 12:46 AM, keepersdungeon said:

Yeah had the same reply from them as well they told me to contact the manufacture but like you said I doubt that dell and microsoft made the same error tweaks 

Intel released updated drivers on Dec 18th, and they're indeed working now with Houdini :)

Make sure to manually install them using the 'have disk option' in the device manager until Microsoft fully certifies and includes them in their updates.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/23/2019 at 7:43 PM, Michele-s said:

Intel released updated drivers on Dec 18th, and they're indeed working now with Houdini :)

Make sure to manually install them using the 'have disk option' in the device manager until Microsoft fully certifies and includes them in their updates.

Have you faced battery drain after you installed the driver?

• 1 month later...

There is a problem with overlapping icons when using the new driver (the same problem was with the driver version 25. ... when version 26. ... did not work at all, the older one did not try). On Linux, there are no such problems with the same hardware and it wasn’t

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by printscreen

• 2 months later...

I had this exact same issue with my dell inspiron - it was working fine and then something updated which stopped the interface from drawing just like in the screenshot at the top.

sidefx support said I should update to the latest drivers, dell update said i had the latest driver, but intel update said there was a graphics driver that i couldn't install because dell has custom graphics drivers.

i contacted dell support and the guy uninstalled the intel graphics driver on my machine by going to:

start > device manager >  display adaptors > intel(R) UHD graphics 620 > uninstall device

maybe it's better to let a support person do that though haha, it seems extreme!

this made houdini give an error on launch about opengl 3 not being supported.

he then had me reinstall houdini - that fixed the issue, i was able to launch houdini and the interface all draws properly.

his advice was to avoid using the intel update software, only use the dell one.

Hey, I have exactly the same problem. I'm on a Dell XPS 13 9380, just updated my graphics driver (intel core i5 8th gen) and the problem persists! Here's a screenshot;

I have no clue at all how to fix this problem!

Annotation 2020-04-30 225636.png

On 4/30/2020 at 11:58 PM, jn3008 said:

Hey, I have exactly the same problem. I'm on a Dell XPS 13 9380, just updated my graphics driver (intel core i5 8th gen) and the problem persists! Here's a screenshot;

I have no clue at all how to fix this problem!

Annotation 2020-04-30 225636.png

Intel drivers are now unlocked, no need to wait for the manufacture, you can download the intel assistance and update the driver 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28425/Intel-Driver-Support-Assistant

it should download the latest driver available. Tried it on surface pro7 seems to be working so far ,if u couldn't install it check out the release note they tell you how to fix it step by step. hope this helps

• Like 1